Solid fuel Stove (Back Boiler) and Oil Boiler Mix

antomack

I want to fit a Waterford Stanley Erin solid fuel stove into an existing oil boiler heating system.

The oil system is divided into two zones (downstairs and upstairs) and is controlled by two switches which turn on/off two electric valves which open to allow water through to the heating system. If the two switches are off then water goes directly to cylinder, if switch(es) are on then heating works in relevant area.

I want to have the Erin plumbed into the system so it will heat the downstairs (8 radiators) but am being told there can be problems with this in having the oil and solid fuel going at the same time. I have also been told that it will require the fitting of a double indirect cylinder.

Anyone know if there is any way to set the system up so that the two systems can be going at the same time without any issues.

I have been trying to find a plumber willing to do the work but most of them seem to be shying away from it in that they reckon there's no real way of doing it that will work 100%.

Any advice would be appreciated or recommendations for a reliable, competent plumber/heating contractor in the Roscommon/Athlone/Ballinasloe region.

It can be done - i have oil that can heat both upstairs and downstairs and then i have an erin stove and it can do the rads downstairs - i have had both going together with no issues.
The cylinder is a standard dual coil cylinder.
Took the plummer a few goes to get it goign but he wasent the best.

Back