Solictor and Convenyancing...prices, and what the hell is it?! :P

uncleseano

Ok so what exactly am I looking for here. What does a solicitor actually do and better yet how much will it cost me?

What are the obvious pitfalls etc.

Buzz words include, conveyancing, outlays, vat all that jazz

Currently buying in Sth Dub and it's costing me €950 + vat. Searches,stamps will prob cost up to €500 more but not sure yet of that

I found a lad who quoted me €795 plus VAT and outlays. The hell does that mean? It's higher

Higher than what ?

A solicitor has quoted you a fee of 795 + VAT and you also have to pay all the fees that the solicitor will pay on your behalf.

I am guessing that this is your first house purchase so it likely the biggest financial decision you have made and the consequences will be with you for years.

Your questions are very glib, for such a serious issue.
You need to do some basic research on the legalities of buying a house and what a solicitor will do to ensure that you have bought the house properly and can sell it again.

Today I got a quote from conveyancing solicitor that seems me quite a lot against the the 750 and 950 quotes above. Can anybody recommend a solicitor with affordable prices?

Professional Fees €1,500.00
Miscellaneous outlays, telephone fax and incidental disbursements €50.00
V.A.T. on professional fee @ 23% € 345.00
V.A.T. on outlay @ 23% € 11.50

government registration fees:
PRA registration fee on deed €800.00
PRA fee to register mortgage €175.00
PRA fee to take up up-to-date copy Folio €40.00
Search fees €140.00 (approximately)
Swearing Fees €20.00
Grand Total €3,081.50.

Cocoa I have actually being quoted slightly higher and am going to go ahead with it. Reason being for the sake of a few extra euros I get a solicitor that I trust as has been used for my family for years, has always proven very competent and unlike other solicitors I have come across over the years actually answers the phone when you ring and is not always "in a meeting".

Lowest price can seem attractive but I really do think you get what you pay for. As an overall percentage of my purchase price it's a small price to pay I think.

Back