Solicitors not coming to agreement

iamaspinner

I'm near completion or thought I was (deposit paid, mortgage and protection in place, signed contracts, etc.) but the solicitors don't seem to be able to come to an agreement. Mine says there's a few things outstanding, the vendor's that they addressed everything several weeks ago. I've seen more recent emails sent by my solicitor requesting a few outstanding documents which I'm told have not been received. The vendor has threatened to pull out of the sale.

Any advice on how to progress this towards completion?

It may be that your solicitor is requesting documents (to protect your interests) that the vendor can't, or for some reason isn't willing to supply. So the vendor says your solicitor has all they're getting and they hope you push your solicitor into closing without dotting all the i's and dotting the t's. There may be problems with the title items like planning compliance that the vendor is hoping your solicitor will overlook.

What specifically has your solicitor has said is outstanding? If the vendor is unwilling to supply any documents reasonably requested, you may well be better walking away rather than inheriting a mess.

Thanks Leo. I'm not sure who's doing what or if it's just miscommunication.

E.g. my solicitor is asking for proof of registration with Irish Water, which the vendor's basically says it's non of my business. I've read a thread here about a Certificate of Discharge from Irish Water. I see that this is legally required, at least in theory. Can someone confirm this is still the case in practice?

A more important issue has to do with Fire Certificates. I remember the surveyor telling me to request a fire certificate to certify that the building complies with regulations. Can I ask how many of these certificates there are? Because the other side says there is only the initial one before construction takes place, which we have, whereas from my side and the surveyor I understand that there should be a second one to say that what was built is in compliance. I know that the developers were the same as the Croke Park apartments, which didn't seem to comply with regulations.

There is also disagreement in that my solicitor has requested some documents that the vendor's says they will provide upon closing. Copies of some of these have been provided.

All in all I don't know where to stand to be honest.

Back