Solicitors Letter had wrong address, Should I reply??

P

Paul G

Hi,
I sold a van to a guy back in May or June, I have not heard anything from him since then ( Well, on Aug 12 & 13 he text me to inform me he had still not recieved the log book but that was all he said ) The Van was UK Registered ( I purchased the van a few weeks prior to selling it but as I was waiting on the Logbook to come to me via post I was unable to VRT it, I did however declare the vehicle to customs and was givin 30 days permission to use the vehicle, afterwhich the vehicle had to be either VRT'd or sold outside the state, so I did not try to avoid or dodge the law on VRT!!.. was only €50 anyway so would have gladly paid it!..)
I sold the van to a guy who it now turns out is from Dublin but he provided me with a N.I. address at the time of sale.
I got the van valleted before selling it in N.I. and when I sold it I must have left the valleting guys business cards in the van, the card had his business name and address ect.
I got a call from the valleting guy yesterday and he tells me that he got a solicitors letter from a dublin firm with my name but with his address.
I went out to collect the letter and basiclly, 3 or 4 months and 2,700KM of driving after buying the van and he wants to return it because of some faults he says is now present.
He obviously does not have my correct Irish address and he sent it to the addreess of the valleting guy in N.I with my name possibly knowing it would get to me.
I have 2 questions,
(1) As the letter does not have my address or the correct vehicle reg on it, Should I reply?..( My solicitor advised me to ignore it but I dunno!..)
(2) What comeback does he have in a private sale?

I'd ignore it and tell the valeting guy not to pass on your details under any circumstances.

He cleaned your car, doesn't know you and is not required 'to track you down'.

This guy is a chancer .... follow your solicitor's advice .... ignore.

Back