Solicitors fees

To convert it down to a hourly rate, would I be correct in saying that €150 per hour is the going (non discount operator and % value of property) rate. Ex VAT and outlays etc.

mine is 2300, that includes everything and that is an agreed price.... i don't hear anything from them - i emailed a question a while ago and the answer i got was "yes" - no hello's, no goodbyes, no nothing!! don't ya just love the personal touch!!!

I agreed with my Solicitors in advance what they would charge and they didn't go a penny over. We used Sinnott & Co in Rathmines and she even said that she would keep the fee as near to 1,700 as she could. We were delighted when she said that it came in slightly under at 1,625. We rang her loads and she couldn't have been more helpful. Some of my friends were rightly done though with one paying fees of 3,000 plus for an apt in the same block as our.

I paid 1700 all in. Rang up a load of places and got lots of big words that made no sence to be whatsoever... Rang the guy i went with, left a voice mail with all the particulars and he text me the following day...1700 for everything!

My solicitor handed me an outrageous price. I felt humiliated that he would think so litttle of me that I would pay it. I discovered then that i did not get the legally required estimate - so I phoned the law society to complain and get the update on that. Then i went to solr and turned the tables on him and said I was going to formally report him to the law society and then sue him for breaking the law and subsequently insulting me with this mouthful of numbers. Well - he turned tail and he reduced it by half and also reduced the deposit against outgoings which i initially paid - as it was a fictional figure. If he had simply overcharged me initially - I would have probably grudgingly paid - but he was a stupid guy anyway you know the type - stupid enough to underestimate peoples intelligence in 2009

Wow, well done! I'd name and shame him on .
I paid 2k all in, got a breakdown in advance and friendly service with good communication and updates.

mine was 3000, but i got a discount (as a favour to my dad). so it ended up at 2000. that was all set fees, solictiors fees, tax, will, etc.
In fairness my solicitor did a lot of extra work for me. good value

I paid 2,500 because I reminded my solicitor that he had quoted me this amount verbally (he had previously verbally quoted me 1,900). He said I could send him this "to start with" and he'd let me know what the balance is once he has calculated. Now, the purchase period was admittedly very long, but to say this man merely pushed paper would be the understatement of the century. I did all the (at times *very* legally charged) communicating with the builder and management agent myself. I invited him to help me in certain instances by saying things like "perhaps this communication would have more gravitas if sent from you to the builders's solicitor". The answer was invariably "well, I think you should go ahead with that there". I printed out a list of "what to look for in a management agent" from the National Consumer Association's website to go through with him. He called it "overkill". When I changed bank for a better rate he said "it's good for you, but there's nothing in it for me" in a disgruntled tone due to the additional paperwork caused. As the extent of his ineptitude gradually sank in, I realised I would have to represent myself. I got to the "God bless him" stage, and accepted that I would have to pay him his fee regardless because I needed his signature on the various pieces of paperwork. Oh yes - he has at no point in over one year picked up the phone - never. He did call me when necessary, but I never once got through to him. He has responded to 2 e-mails out of 10 that I have sent - always with one-line responses bereft of e-mail etiquette (I believe due to lack of comfort with e-mail as opposed to lack of manners). I remain astounded by the experience. He was recommended by a friend. In retrospect, I believe my friend's words were "he's really nice" - she obviously required his paper-pushing skills versus the legal kind. On the bright side of the whole experience of property purchase - my mortgage broker was the absolute epitome of professionalism. My solicitor was old-school Irish. My broker was ex-Rea. Go figure. :)

Hi, i´m new to this forum but find this very interesting i put down a deposit with Dun laoghaire Co Co for a 2 bed apt in Mimosa Hall. I had my interview with the council today they told me that i had to pay their solicitiors 1000euro also there admin fees another 1000euro also the maintanence fees for the year have to be paid on the final signing as well as paying your own solicitors fees. Has anyone else come accross this?

Im afraid your SOT fees will run up to anything between 2700-3000 however it mentions this in the brochure I think.

Back