Solicitors fees

May I ask you Bronte if you've every gone to a solicitor you've never used before and were you billed for an 'initial consultation'?

I've always stuck with my own excellent solicitor in Ireland for many moons now. And have never had a section 68 letter and personally don't need one and have always agreed the fee up front.

Abroad I've hired one, but fees are set for property transactions and when I took a landlord to court here there were set fees that were too low for the solicitor to act but we agreed his fee in advance which I was happy to pay.

I would never agree to a fee per hour. If it were complicated which can happen then my solicitor would discuss with me and we'd take it from there.

I didn't get any email notifications that there was activity on this thread so apologies for the late update. The end of the story was that I negotiated the fee down and paid it. It was never my intention not to pay *anything* (I know I worded the initial post wrong), but I was enquiring into how this process should normally work during disputes.

I can't see the entire thread to comment inline so I'll cover some points;
- the section 68 was issued 2 days after our in person meeting, this was the first time any fees were raised to me
- I know time costs money but people should be upfront about costs, especially when they're bordering on ridiculous

Back