Solicitors Fees

bluepaddy

Hi,

I'm wondering what sort of fee is normal for a solicitor to administer a will. Nothing too complicated: one house and a few bank accounts to be transferred from joint ownership into my mother's name.

Is this something I could do myself, wiithout a solicitor?

Thanks in advance

"Is this something I could do myself, wiithout a solicitor?"

Yes. Some people prefer the security of professional advice.

You should try and ascertain if you need a Grant of Probate at all. Anything in joint names will pass automatically without the need for a Grant.

mf

You should try and ascertain if you need a Grant of Probate at all. Anything in joint names will pass automatically without the need for a Grant.

So anything in joint names does not need a Grant of Probate?

I took out grant of probate myself last year and it wasnt as difficult as I thought it would have been. You can do it yourself no problem. Also got some great advice on this site for anything I might have got stuck on or had an issue with.

You need to know if there was a will firstly. If the house was in joint names with your parents this can be transferred easily just a small bit of paperwork. Joint bank accounts are the same.

Might get tricky if there is no will and there is any money owed outstanding to anybody outside the family etc. But if its all straight forward should be able to do it yourself.

There is a will and there are no outstanding loans. So should be straight forward. What is the procedure to transfer the house and banks accounts into the surviving spouses name?

Thanks

Back