Solicitor who is co-executor.

Folks,

I have no idea how common it is for solicitors to 'insert' themselves as executors. I never do and have on more than a few occasions over the years had to refuse where the client wanted it and the circumstances manifestly suited, because I am not prepared to be accused of favouring myself over beneficiaries. I would say in general that the solicitor-prompted insertion happens rather more often than I would like, but far less often than one would imagine from reading this thread.

I will also say this: Bronte's perception ( if I may paraphrase it) that 'solicitors generally are not great but my fellow is alright' is a very common attititude among clients. My perception is that a very small number of bad apples have given a stinking PR problem to the vast majority of hard working solicitors.

Brendan, the idea that " If there is a need for a solicitor it suggests that the will is too complicated and needs to be simplified......." is just too simplistic. Sometimes a will has to be complex, because people's circumstances warrant the complexity. Among those who certainly need a solicitor to prepare their will and subsequently to help administer their estate are:

Parents of minor children.
Parents of warring adult siblings.
Those who may have estates sufficient to trigger large inheritance tax bills. I can show you estates where - without in any way altering the ultimate distribution of an estate - one wording of a will could generate a large inheritance tax bill while another wording could totally avoid such a liability.

Many simple wills can indeed be administered without the help of a solicitor. Alternatively, the work can be subbed out to a solicitor in discrete chunks. I have often done a simple probate where I got out the grant of probate at a fee of circa €1200. This fee was to simply go through the process of getting the grant - leaving it to the client to deal with the assets. Certainly it would have been cheaper for the client to do this themselves - but my fee was perceived as value, which is the whole point.

Where things come unstuck is the client who insists that he\she 'only wants a few simple forms processed' [and yes - I have been stung this way more than once] but then expects you to sort out a land lease with the farmer who had the land from the deceased for the last few years, sort out the single farm payment; get the herd number transferred; deal with a claim by department of social welfare for overpaid means-tested benefits which the deceased previously had, check if there is a tax refund from last year, track down the priest mentioned in the will for masses rather than just give the money to the current pp, write to ten beneficiaries to get details of their previous inheritances in sufficient detail to correctly fill out the revenue returns, possibly end up filing inheritance tax returns for some of those beneficiaries arising from the present inheritance; field phone calls from ten other beneficiaries because executor can't be bothered keeping them up to date, find out how much the deceased got for a site sold three years before death etc. etc.

Many solicitors, myself included, will conduct an initial probate consultation by asking:

A. Do you need to extract probate at all?
B. Do you need the services of a solicitor to do so?

And only if it becomes clear that client either answers yes to both questions will we open a file for the matter.

It is unfortunate that some posters seem to have had bad experience with the probate process; I would like to think that not all of this was the fault of solicitors. Sometimes life is just complex and convoluted.

I do not agree that in general solicitors decline to act as executor. The precise reason that wills are so cheap to draw up is because in most cases the solicitor drafting the will ends up as executor to the will. Probate is one of the greatest fee earners for solicitors.

Just to contradict one element of this. Certainly, one of the reasons solicitors are happy to draft wills either cheaply or for free is that the will represents a source of future fee income. However, having the will in your safe and being 'first up to the table and best dressed' in terms of getting the work in the administration of the estate is one thing. Actually being executor is another. It is not true that a solicitor ends up as executor in 'most cases'.

And while we are on the topic, it is worth analysing the 'business case' for getting wills done cheaply. The reality in Ireland today is that a solicitor's practice is much less saleable an asset that it used to be. The days when a solicitor could rely on the sale of a practice to fund his\her retirement are long gone. I don't know what age you are Bronte but it is a safe bet that most people making wills for the first time will be younger than their solicitor. It usually arises when people are buying their first house or perhaps after they have a child. The solicitor making that will already has these people as clients. They probably won't die for 30+ years and the solicitor will by then have retired. If they move to another solicitor for their next house purchase, chances are they will make a new will anyway. So in an era when the 'client for life' and the 'family solicitor' are both an endangered species, is there really a profit in charging nothing now for a will?

Maybe there could be another reason for the low fee. Perhaps the solicitors ethically-motivated wish to put no financial obstacle in front of this important task ?

. It is not true that a solicitor ends up as executor in 'most cases'.
Do you meant that most wills nowadays are administered by a solicitor from people walking in waving a will at them?

Something that I didn't say and I should have- the vast majority of people making their wills in my experience appoint their spouse or a family member as executor.

The executor is the person who has the power to decide which firm of solicitors ( if any) deal with the estate.

MOB

Among those who certainly need a solicitor to prepare their will and subsequently to help administer their estate are:

100% agree. I always recommend to people to get their will drafted by a solicitor.

I would also recommend that they take legal advice when administering the estate.

Brendan

Do you meant that most wills nowadays are administered by a solicitor from people walking in waving a will at them?

I think that most of the regular legal posters on this Board are probably from very similar practice backgrounds - we would have a client base built up over many years where people would consistently use our services and would recommend their family and friends to us. Primarily, because, when it all hits the fan, as a client, you want someone who knows you, that you trust, to act on your behalf.

Any of the Probates I have done in recent years would be from such clients - perhaps it is a will I drafted for a client or the will of a client's parent or family member. A lot of clients are very loyal to a particular solicitor or practice - equally, a lot of clients want the cheapest service possible.

Client's are extremely price sensitive and will always ask for a fee quote and are entitled to a Section 68 letter setting out the proposed fee structure.

So, in answer to the question above : a lot of people will shop around for the cheapest quote. A lot of people will choose to do the Probate themselves. A lot of people are happier to hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing.

mf

Hi Bronte;
No - it is still the case that the vast majority of wills which we deal with will be wills which were prepared by the office. The point is that a solicitor in my office will not have been named as executor. The named executor is perfectly free to use our services or those of any other solicitor ( or none).

But when we prepare a will today for a young couple in their 20's\30's\40's, we do so in the knowledge that the unstoppable trend is for fewer people to choose a solicitor for handling the administration work merely because he\she has the will, for fewer people to stay with one solicitor from their 20's through to pension and death and even when they do, for a solicitor's practice to be a not very saleable asset compared to what it used to be. So the argument that by getting the safe full of wills we are somehow setting up a golden trove for the future just doesn't hold the kind of water it used to.

Hi .
I'm just wondering is there any straight answer to my question in the Original Post which is (with some clarification)
"is there any difficulty in the daughter named in the above paragraph, (who is executor) changing ( immediately after the death of the testator) to a different and more convenient solicitor given that the above (named in will )solicitor drafted and holds the original document of the Will and is also the co-executor?"

If by straight answer you mean "Yes" or "No" then no there is no straight answer as the answer is"it depends"!

If the co-executor solicitor is prepared to reserve or renounce their rights then your friend the other executor is free to take out the grant herself or appoint whomsoever to do so on her behalf.

The solicitor co-executor may (a) be delighted to walk away or(b) be seriously peeved but walk away anyway or(c) refuse and insist on taking out the grant!

I can think of scenarios where I could adopt any of the above attitudes including but not exclusively the following

(a) walk away delighted to be shot of what may be a difficult probate by virtue of having difficult clients or knowing that disagreements were likely between beneficiaries etc.. I walk away grinning like the proverbial cheshire cat

(B) be seriously annoyed by virtue of having given a lot of assistance to the testator over the years,having been expected to show loyalty to those clients over the years in terms of work done and low fees charged..I walk away because to stay would only involve grief that I dont need but this time no grin and possibly a scowl

(C) I refuse to walk out of respect for my deceased client who wanted me to act as executor not because I cajoled them into it or pulled the wool over their eyes but because I had earned their trust and respect and because they did not want any of the beneficiaries to act ot to act solely!

I have done (a) and (b) in the past and will again in the future. I have never had to do (c) but have been prepared to in one case where I fully expected to be asked to renounce but in the end was not and was actually thanked by the beneficiaries later(separately) as I prevented a bad family dispute from escalating into an irreparable breach by virtue of ultimately having been seen as an honest broker.

BTW I agree with the sentiment expressed by most if not all of the posting solicitors --I try to avoid being named as executor as much as I can!!

Thanks all for your advice. Incidentally, the aged person (testator) in this case dealt with his local solicitor for many years and had already made a will. However, about two years ago, he had a falling out with his local solicitor over some small detail and in a huff travelled to another town and re-made his will with a strange solicitor.
The daughter in this case thinks that her father had acted a little unreasonable and would like the opportunity to revert back to her local solicitor (whom she thrusts and would find more convenient) if this was not too much trouble.

"The daughter in this case thinks that her father had acted a little unreasonable and would like the opportunity to revert back to her local solicitor (whom she thrusts and would find more convenient) if this was not too much trouble."

And is it now clear to you that she, the daughter, is not the testator , who made the will and is entitled to have his wishes carried out, and is not the "lead" executor but one of two executors who between them ( unless the solicitor renounces per Madangans excellent post) decide how best to administer the estate.

mf

I know of one solicitor who took a crazy amount from an estate from a relative of mine, I'm talking not far off 6 figures from a typical 2007 housing boom estate. He wrote himself in as co-executor in the Will that he drafted. I have seen the Will and there is no mention of him being entitled to charge any fee. I have no idea if he put it all down to expenses or if in included some fees. It seems like he took advantage to me.

As far as I know an executor can only claim back reasonable expenses but not charge a fee. If a solicitor is also named as executor but there is no charging clause in the Will, is that solicitor entitled to charge a professional fee on top of his/her expenses?

Back