solicitor walked away after buyer signed the papers

redskyatnigh

Does any one know of a good solicitor who will stick with me while I am selling my house. As the sale just fell through after the buyer used a surveyors report to renege on going through with the sale and my solicitor said she was not getting involved, the buyer and I had signed the contracts.

If I am lucky enough to get a buyer again to look at the house can anyone recommend a solicitor who can follow through on process.

I thought if a buyer signed the contract then they have to go through with the sale.
What was in the building report?
Was there anything structural or was it just a standard snag list?

You need to clarify exactly what happened.

If you had signed contracts, subject to survey, which would be unusual, then the buyer didn't renege as such.

If you misled the solicitor, she probably feels she has wasted time with you.

What reason did she give for walking away?

I am quite amazed at some of the comments to the OP. Especially considering that nearly everyone posts in favour of the builder when a buyer wants to pull out of a new build and has signed contracts a year ago etc etc etc.

OP- If what you say is the case and you have both signed the contract and the contract is not subject to survey and the buyer is demanding a reduction blah blah blah, I would just refuse. If he refuses to close the contract hold on to the deposit and forget about the purchaser, because, if as you say, all is above board it sounds like he is chancing his arm.

I would also take some of the other advise and find out why there is a difference between he engineers and surveyors report. If there is something wrong with your central heating, and the contract is not subject to survey, the purchaser should never have signed the contract until his survey results were in.

Just my two cents, Im sure some people will disagree.

"OP- If what you say is the case and you have both signed the contract and the contract is not subject to survey and the buyer is demanding a reduction blah blah blah, I would just refuse. If he refuses to close the contract hold on to the deposit and forget about the purchaser, because, if as you say, all is above board it sounds like he is chancing his arm."

OP has signed a contract to purchase another property. Its the complete knock on effect. If they can't fix things sharpish with their own purchaser, chances are they cannot complete on their own purchase.

mf

Granted, but maybe holding onto the deposit will compensate any loss resulting from not being able to close his/her own purchase.

Or possibly be 'passed on' to the seller of his own purchase deal as a gesture of good will to either extend the closing or to cancel the deal without legal ramifications.

Granted, but maybe holding onto the deposit will compensate any loss resulting from not being able to close his/her own purchase.

Or possibly be 'passed on' to the seller of his own purchase deal as a gesture of good will to either extend the closing or to cancel the deal without legal ramifications.

Indeed, it's all so self-evident and easy that you'd have to wonder why the OPs solicitor isn't suggesting just that. Oh yeah, maybe we don't have the full story.

Back