Solicitor to Get Solicitor's Letter Sent

AskingAQuestion

I have a situation where a tenant caused a significant amount of damage to furnishings.

I set out the situation in an email because I need to get a bit of legal advice and probably a solicitor's letter sent. Everything was set out clearly, so very little time needed to understand the situation, a solicitor would just need to read it, perhaps 10 minutes reading.

I picked a firm more or less at random but I was very unimpressed with the obviously flawed advice, not to mention the quote of €200 plus VAT to send the letter.

Can anyone suggest how to get a reasonably-priced solicitor, ideally with experience in this area, or even recommend one?

Thanks

You are not going to find it easy to achieve this.

€200 is cheap as a stand alone fee for a solicitors letter.

Everything was set out clearly, so very little time needed to understand the situation, a solicitor would just need to read it, perhaps 10 minutes reading.

I picked a firm more or less at random but I was very unimpressed with the obviously flawed advice, not to mention the quote of €200 plus VAT to send the letter.

If you just want to follow your own advice, why do you want a solicitor's letter.

If you want professional advice, you will need to pay for it. And yes it is still possible that it will not be as good as your own opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose my problem with the solicitor was that what he proposed was something that I could immediately see as flawed (he didn't contradict me when I pointed it out). I do want legal advice, but I feel I need someone whose skill and experience in the law is, at a bare minimum, better than mine.

Why do you need a solicitor at all?

Why not go straight to the RTB?

Who can make a Dispute application to the RTB?
An application for Dispute Resolution can be made by registered landlords and all tenants (regardless of whether the tenancy is registered or not) and Third Parties, who are affected by a landlord’s failure to enforce their tenant’s obligations (e.g. another tenant or a neighbour affected by a tenant’s anti-social behaviour) can also take a case against the landlord.

If you get an award there, you may need a solicitor to try to enforce it.

Brendan

Back