solicitor hasnt paid mgt co fees

sabrina99

Hi

I closed sale of my house oct last year, In my completion statement from solicitor final fee included service charge payable to mgt company
of €95. I duly paid solicitor expecting him to pay management company as I had paid solicitor this 95euro,
they never paid it so I rang and emailed solicitor about two months ago who profusely apologised for the delay and said he would pay it straight away, I assumed this was the end of it.
However they still have not paid it, has anyone else experienced this from their solicitor before, I know it only a small amount but it the principal of the matter!
Thanks

Given that its such a small amount I think its clear that its an oversight rather than any deliberate policy on the solicitors part. Yes its annoying but not the greatest crime in the world. Ask him/her to do it again and then make a nuisance of yourself(check every 2 weeks until he /she has done it). Keep it friendly but firm.

Write to them and ask that it is done within, say, 2 weeks.
If it's not done by then, make a formal complaint (to the Law Society) if you feel it's worth the trouble. You shouldn't have to pay the money twice.

How do you know he hasn't paid it. It is possible that it was paid to the Solicitors for the vendors who have not forwarded the service charge to the management company.

In my experience it's the responsibility of the owner to pay the management company. I would suggest you cancel the cheque you gave to your Solicitor, and pay the management company directly yourself.

I used to work in Property Management and it was normal for new owners to give the service charge to the solicitor. It's only a small amount but its the principle.

Write a letter asking that they pay the charges within a week otherwise you will make a formal complaint to the Law Society and post the name of their firm on forums like this.

Write a letter asking that they pay the charges within a week otherwise you will make a formal complaint to the Law Society and post the name of their firm on forums like this.

No-no-one will be allowed to make such statements on AAM-please familiarise yourself with our Posting Guidelines.

In my experience it's the responsibility of the owner to pay the management company. I would suggest you cancel the cheque you gave to your Solicitor, and pay the management company directly yourself.
I seem to recall us paying the first management charge via the solicitor at the time of closing. It's a while ago now though...

I seem to recall us paying the first management charge via the solicitor at the time of closing. It's a while ago now though...

That would be normal in every first purchase (from builders).

While complaining to Law Society is last resort if the OP simply wants the money paid with minimum hassle she should keep ringing solicitor until its done.

Back