Nationwide Solicitor has lost our house Title Deeds

fjenn1

Just wondering can anyone help me as our solicitor has lost our title deeds to our house. My wife and i have paid off our morgage some time ago. After a lot of phone calls to the solicitor he just kept putting us off and only told us last week that he cannot find the deeds. He dident want to tell us before now in case he would worry us--Rubbish talk. Can i report him to the law society as i believe it could take years to sort out. He told us to get back to him in one month and he would have more info ?? Is there anything we can do to have this resolved asap. He said it wont cost us anything. Any help would be appreciated

Of course you can report him to the Law Society. They will ask hm to resolve the matter.

Or you could wait a month and go back to him ( tho' really he should be getting back to you.) And/or ask him for a clear concise explanation as to how he thinks the Deeds have gone missing, what steps he has taken to locate them and, if he cannot find them, what steps he will take to re-constitute the Title and how long it will take.

It does not sound as if you intend to sell the house ( perhaps you do, which does create more of an emergency) so, other than being anxious, when and if it is sorted out, you won't be out of pocket if he does it as his expense.

mf

One would certainly be expecting an apology and a solicitor to work round the clock to sort out your title.

Are you 100% sure the deeds were lost by the solicitor. Sometimes in these cases its not that the solicitor has "lost" the deeds. but that the deeds are not with the solicitor. But the solicitor's systems are so bad he/she takes responsibility cos he\she assumes they got them. In fact they are usually somewhere else.

Do you know where they went after the purchase - probably to the bank or lending institution. When the mortgage was paid off did you ask for them back? They didn't always go back automatically. They could have been sent to you, your solicitor, another solicitor. If you could set out the likely route the deeds took and what evidence there is (signed receipt etc) that they are with the solicitor that would help. The other point is that for (?the majority) of property in Ireland there no longer are "deeds" as such - just a Folio which can be got cheaply in the Land Registry. Are you sure your land is unregistered registry of deeds land?

Make sure you still own the house you are living in. Remember Michael Lynn ?

as Putsch says, are you sure solicitor had them? When you paid off the mortgage, what did bank tell you re deeds or what did you ask them? before it was cleared, they held them. perhaps they still have them??

Back