Solicitor fees on house sale

DeBarr

Hi all

We are thinking of selling up and moving down the country for family reasons in the next month or two. I've gotten a quote from a solicitor for €2500 + outlays + VAT to handle the house sale and was wondering if this figure was reasonable. The value of the house is €600K+....

Any thoughts or advice are welcome......
DeBarr

Hi CCOVICH

Yeah - we've used them before (when we bought the house about 8 years ago) on the recommendation of a friend. They were good value back then and I'm just checking are they still value in the current market.

DeBarr

If you arrange your new mortgage via REA the solicitor's fee for the sale of a property is a flat €950 + VAT and outlays.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

I used a Solicitor based in Crumlin that has been recommended on this site(I will say it is not the northside Solicitor that has been the subject on various discussions)

I got the contact through homebuyhomesell. When I phoned, depending what area you are in, you will be allocated a Solicitor from their panel. The cost is €999 plus VAT plus outlays on a buy and the same to sell.
It is up to you whether or not you go with the Solicitor.

In total, to buy and sell cost me €3,700 including VAT and including all the various outlays, etc. I havent closed my purchase as yet, but that will be the total bill. In purchasing, I was going to buy a different house and they had reviewed contracts, etc for me which I did not go with and they did not charge me anything for doing this. I was happy both with the price and the service.

Plus a nice little bonus for me, because I got my mortgage from NIB, they are going to pay €600 towards my legal fees, so happy days!

Its neither overly cheap or overly expensive. You will undoubtedly get cheaper if you pick up the Golden Pages and ring around a few solicitors in your area. BUT my view is price should not be the only factor - ability, confidence, trust and recommendation are also very important. As is the ability to be able to pick up the phone and know that your call will be taken by somebody competent should serious/worrying issues arise.

mf

For what it's worth we used a HomeBuyHomeSell solicitor last time. It went smooth.
We were extremely lucky that there were no complications on our sides as his contactability was on par with NTL and Eircom and he had no administration assistance.
We felt that he was really working close to the bone and a complication would not have received much attention.
We got what we paid for.

What I meant to say as well, and I stand corrected if I am wrong, is that in relation to the above offer by REA, I wonder is it correct to say that the solicitors fees is €950, I would imagine ( and I'm willing to be corrected) is that the portion of the solicitor's fee which will be payable by the person taking out the mortgage is €950 rather than "the solicitors fee is €950"
I think stating €950 as a fee (and I know some solicitors will do conveyancing for this amount) can be misleading when compared with other quotes.

The fee is €950 + VAT and outlays for a REA panel solicitor to handle the legal side of a property sale when the client is getting a new mortgage (of any size) through REA. That is fact, not advertising. This fee is NOT subsidised by REA.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Last edited:
I stand corrected

Although I don't follow in someways then, if this is what this panel of solicitors charge and REA do not contribute and the entire fee is paid by the person taking out the mortgage, then surely this is just what these solicitors charge and there is no need for me to take out a mortgage with REA in order to avail of these fees? Can you follow my point? We may have gone a bit off track apologies so perhaps you could PM Sarah. Thanks!

Although I must say I would hope that all advertising is factual!I'm just not sure how factual statements and advertising are mutually exclusive :confused: :)

Last edited:
Folks-if you have a problem with a post, kindly use the 'Report Post' function (the icon with the exclamation mark inside) all moderators will be alerted-they will then make a call.

The OP's question is 'does a fee of €2,500 plus outlay plus VAT represent good value in today's market'?

Thanks.

I was charged 950 euros plus vat plus outgoings to sell a house and the same to buy a house by Fanning Solicitors (www.fanningsolicitors.ie) in Cabinteely. What I really valued though was the efficient service she provided.

I see from MandaC that €999- baloons to €3,700- when outlays and vat are added . Does anyone know if these are real outlays paid by the solicitor or is there an element of profit included here too.
pjq

The €3700 I paid includes 2 x €999 plus VAT, ie, €2,417 as it was for the sale of one house and the purchase of the second house.

I got a breakdown of all the outlays, and they are all genuine outlays.

I was very happy both with the price and the service.

Back