Solicitor Fee

Squidward

Hi,

I got a quote off a solicitor that I used when I intially purchased my house.

This quote covers the selling of our home and the purchasing of another.

The charge is €4000. This is inclusive of all outlay and VAT .

Is this a fair price?

Cheers.

Sorry, should have included this in the original post.

Purchase value €430,000
Sale Value €381,000

Under REA's package the legal fees (inc VAT but excluding outlays which will be the same whichever solicitor you use) would be €1755.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Seems pretty good.
However, HomwLawDirect sell your house for something like €1,300. And they handle house purchases for something more than that, but both combined would amount to <€4,000. The advatage is that they charge a fixed fee...not a percentage.

just bought a house and signed the contracts on friday.
we found out about [broken link removed] on the boards.ie site. We have been quoted €2101 inclusive of everything.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=34141

HomeBuy HomeSell is very misleading. The girl on the phone told us that it would come to €2101 and we received a bill today from the solicitor which comes to €3650.79.
She had told us that outlay fees would not be more than €900. So it seems that they are in now way interested in providing a cheaper alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will your mortgage(if you are getting one) be over 254k? There is a .01% mortgage duty that the solicitor will need to collect as part of the house purchase transaction. Have they quoted for this?

I did house sell and house purchase with same solicitor and the purchase part worked out about 1100 euro dearer due to registration duty and mortgage duty

IanDublin said:
just bought a house and signed the contracts on friday.
we found out about [broken link removed] on the boards.ie site. The fee came to €2101 inclusive of everything. You are assigned a solicitor and we got Hughes & liddy on Fitzwilliam St Upper. We found them very helpful and very informative

I think that it depends on the solicitor that you are assigned. We were assigned one local to where we live and they were not very communicative or informative. With reflection, I would look for recommendations and only let the price be a partial determinant for selection.

The fee includes stamp duty for a mortgage of 330k. So it seems by the responses that the deal i'm being offered is very good. It was just that I needed to do a bit of research before I signed up with this solicitor.

Cheers all..

Ours is working out at about €5,500 for sale & purchase.

Has anyone used brokers such as FirstCredit.ie who offer flat fee Solicitor's Fees of €690 (yes only €690 !!) on condition that you organise your mortgage through them. I haven't looked into this in any great detail but it seems like a fantastic deal if you compare this to a figure like €5,500 (or higher if the solicitor fee is approximated at 1%)

Am I missing something here - anyone ?

Don't forget that outlays and VAT will be in addition to the €690 so make sure to get an idea of the potential total cost in advance. Also don't forget that you should not select a legal or other professional on price alone and you should make sure in advance that the professional engaged will do a good/thorough job for you.

Back