Solicitor dragging feet

redbhoy

I've hired the use of a solicitor to apply for joint guardianship of children. The solicitors has sent a letter to my ex re: said matter in November. I heard nothing back and after numerous phone calls to the solicitors office i got hold of him and he said he'd heard nothing back and would i like him to send another letter. I asked him to do so in early January. Still nothing and any time i ring he's either with another client or at a meeting and i never receive the promised call back.
I need the joint guardianship issue dealt with before i can continue with further issues which need dealing with. I only recently found out through the oasis.ie site that i can actually apply for joint guardianship without use of solicitor! Obviously Id rather use someone who knows the complete ins and outs of the processes buut thi slad seems to be messing me around.

Can anyone advise me of my options here?
If i tell him i no longer wish him to represent me am I subject to charge for a substandard service (in my opinion)?

Have you used this solicitor before?

If yes more so, but regardless, have you made an appointment to go in and see him/her? This would give you an opportunity to state that you are not happy with the speed at which things are progressing and you could clearly outline your expectations and it would give your solicitor an opportunity to explain the delays etc.

Then you can decide if your solicitor is the cause of the delays or if your X is and then you can make a call on it..

The company was recommended by someone who was in a similar (worse maybe) than I am in now.
I had been in with him twice already. Id ask him what the problem is if I could get a hold of him!

Next time you ring, do it at a time when you have a couple of free hours and a handsfree speaker phone. Tell his secretary that you'll hold until he does become available.

I only recently found out through the oasis.ie site that i can actually apply for joint guardianship without use of solicitor! Obviously Id rather use someone who knows the complete ins and outs of the processes buut thi slad seems to be messing me around.

In fairness this applies to all family law matters. If you instruct a solicitor they will obviously have expertise in the matter, but you have the right of audience in court yourself. Assuming you are not married to the mother of your children, then you simply need to instruct your solicitor to apply for guardianship in the district court.

Back