Solicitor did not pass my settlement payment to lender

PatrickJ

Hi,

Approximately three years ago I made a full and final settlement with a debt collection company via their solicitors.

I found the solicitor difficult to deal with i.e. not really wanting to give a receipt when I had insisted that I would not settle without one. Looking back it was simply a mini ordeal to get a receipt from them.

Generally, I'd been going around thinking I had a clean pair of heals, no personal debt etc. until I got a telephone call from the debt collection company telling me they never received any full and final settlement payment from me three years ago.

They exhausted all avenues to see had the sum of money being placed into the wrong account - it hadn't.

They have now informed me I owe them the total sum and no full and final offer is on the table as I am now in full time employment. I don't know how they know this?

I want the few thousand euro I gave the solicitor back. Am I entitled to demand this?

Hi Patrick

I presume you have a letter from them making you an offer in full and final settlement?
I presume you have evidence that you paid to the solicitor?

That should be the end of it, apart, of course, from making sure your ICB record reflects that this account was settled 3 years ago.

Brendan

Don't automatically assume that the debt collection company are being honest here. Some of them are little better than gangsters.

I want the few thousand euro I gave the solicitor back. Am I entitled to demand this?

Don't be ridiculous, you don't want the money back, you want your full and final settlement agreement. Apart from the settlment amount didn't your solicitor issue you with a bill for his work? Your first port of call is the solicitor to get confirmation he paid the money over and got a letter from the debt collectors that all was in order.

I admit I jumped to conclusions by surmising the solicitor was up to no good. Yes, I agree I want the full and final settlement agreement put back in place. The solicitor is currently gone to ground so I will keep on the case and see were this all leads too.

Error, I didn't realise it was the debt collectors solicitor. But OP has a receipt.

Last edited:
It was via their solicitors rather than yours? If you have a letter and a receipt write to them with copies of both and say that the debt is settled. Get an ICB report and if it doesn't show the amount settled ask them to correct it.

Back