Sole Trader Query

Zapatista

Hi all,

If I become a sole trader and register as self employed can I use the word company to describe how I do business. In other words can I say Bills Books is a small book delivery company if I am a sole trader who delivers books?

Zapa.

I don't think so. You can register "Bill's Books" as a business name while a sole trader but AFAIK you cannot describe yourself as a company without incorporating the business as a seperate entity from yourself. There are a number of company types, as you probably know, and you can find more about that [broken link removed].

Thanks Extopia,

I'm certainly no expert but I know the basics when it comes to the different types of ownership but this issue seems to be an uncertainty as far as I can see on most business advice websites.

The reason I ask is because I'm currently working on my own website for what will be my own web design "company". I will be a sole trader but I would like to say on the website that "business name" is a small web design company. I think it would give me a lot more credibility but obviously I won't use the term if its not appropriate to do so.

Hmmmm such a minor detail shouldn't be the my main concern at this stage but I am very curious :confused:

Zapa.

I'm in the same position as you, set-up as a self-employed web/graphic designer in January. But to be honest I actually didn't find it to be a handicap that people knew I was a one-man-band.

If you want you can refer to your design company as a 'business'. That way you're not doing anything wrong, as you have registered a 'business' name, and are conducting 'business' under that name.

Best of luck with the venture!

AFAIK you cannot describe yourself as a company without incorporating the business as a seperate entity from yourself.

I don't think this is correct. Many solicitors & accountancy firms denote themselves using the word "company" in their business name - for example as Joe Bloggs & Company - despite the fact that they are not incorporated as limited companies. (In fact most such firms are legally or professionally prohibited from operating as limited companies). I have never heard of this being a problem.

agree totally,
my own practice is Marks & Co.
this is a redg business name

Thanks guys,

All your advice is greatly appreciated. I think in that case I will use the word company if I think I need to but just in case I will make it cear that I am a one man company.

Zapa.

Zapatista,
It shoudnt be an issue, you can refer to the business in the third person i.
Dynamo Design was formed in .................

Back