Sold house; how to deal with residual balance

Jo1977

My husband and I made decision to sell our home as we were on s restructured mortgage from €1350 p/m to €700. We were struggling to pay this n faced with the likelihood of returning to full payment after the term of restructuring we felt the pressure too much. We sold house for €195,000 which leaves a residual balance of €20,000. The mortgage company of course have declined to write off the debt. I believe they want us to offer a lump sum to write off remainder however we are not in a position to do that. They say we now owe €100 per month but we will not be allowed to remain on this tepayment. They want us to fill in another sfs to establish what we can afford which we are adamant we are not filling in again. What I really would like is some advice on how to deal with the situation now. If we just decide not to pay anymore what will happen to us. I'm of opinion they've had enough from us. We paid the mortgage for 13 yrs without ever going into arrears. We only borrowed €250k n there's only 20k left surely we have paid that n more in 13 yrs. if we don't pay mortgage will it affect us borrowing from credit union in near future? Any advice will be gratefully received. Thank you

Hi Jo1977,

I was left with substantially more residual debt but it hasn't really affected my loan applications as my current bank has no problem giving me a loan or the credit union. Once you're not applying for more finance from the institution you owe the 20K to.

My advice would be to make them an offer in a few months time starting with a low opening offer and take it from there.
Once you resolve the residual debt it takes 5 years to clear from your Irish credit bureau record.

Back