Solar Panels

Haille

I got a quote from for 12 panel 4.7 kwp system plus 4.8 kwp battery pack €13,353 - €3000 grant = €10353 or for the same 12 panels with a 7.2 kwp battery pack €14,998-€3000 grant = €11990. A requirement is that after the installation the BER rating must reach C3 minimum or my BER must be at least a D before installation. When I contacted a local assessor he quoted me €600 for doing a BER which seems exhorbitant.
I also got a call from Active 8 who quoted me €19,502 originally less subsidy awarded for advertising €2352 less €3000 grant .Total €14,250. On his written quote he does not seem to have written what the quote included??
Is the first quote reasonable.?I have lots of roof space. Is planning permission needed for more than 12 panels?

See this previous thread.

If you want to discuss the BER issue here, I can delete the other thread? Duplicating questions leads to disjointed threads.

Please check out the 2020 Quotes thread as I have advised previous posters asking similar Questions. Boards.ie. It is a great way to read into Solar PV and a mine of information.

Neither of those quotes are competitive. You can get quotes 1,000's cheaper for the setup you have described or get a much larger system for the same price. You are fortunate you haven't signed up with either.

Please check out the 2020 Quotes thread as I have advised previous posters asking similar Questions. Boards.ie. It is a great way to read into Solar PV and a mine of information.

Problem is than, although that Boards.ie thread has lots of useful information, it has, as I write 4,800 posts in it - and that's a heck of a lot of reading!

I recently received a quote for JA solar panels but have no idea whether or not they're any good - and a couple of Boards.ie searches haven't really helped!

Well worth the investment in scanning that thread to understand the issues and as much as practical about installing solar PV.
Couple of hours reading could save 1,000s and result in the most appropriate install for your circumstances.
There is no 1 size fits all for PV solar and variables such as Water Diverter, Battery usage and sizing, Car Charge point and your usage all need to be understood and considered.
All installs aren't the same and a bit of time spent researching will highlight the importance of orientation, pitch, shading etc.

Well worth the investment in scanning that thread to understand the issues and as much as practical about installing solar PV.
Couple of hours reading could save 1,000s and result in the most appropriate install for your circumstances.
There is no 1 size fits all for PV solar and variables such as Water Diverter, Battery usage and sizing, Car Charge point and your usage all need to be understood and considered.
All installs aren't the same and a bit of time spent researching will highlight the importance of orientation, pitch, shading etc.

Alternatively, one ends up more confused and with one's head spinning!

Personally I feel it is incredibly useful to have that information available but of course if one chooses not to use that resource then there are plenty of Solar PV Sales companies out there who will happily give you a price and install Solar PV without you doing any research, personally I prefer to use those resources and clarify my thinking and requirements.

I've learned a huge amount from trawling that thread and got a well sized system that meets our needs and is generating in line with my expectations.

Well, if you managed to read some 4,800 threads - at least 75% of which are uninformative - in a "couple of hours", then you're a better man than me!

So I'll settle for getting my three local quotes, interrogating the tenderers, talking to some of their references and then making an uninformed decision. What could possibly go wrong?

For some reason you have quoted me selectively, I never claimed I had read every post or that the person seeking the advice here needed to.

What I wrote-

'Well worth the investment in scanning that thread to understand the issues and as much as practical about installing solar PV.
Couple of hours reading could save 1,000s and result in the most appropriate install for your circumstances.'

I pointed the person seeking the advice at the most comprehensive source of information for Solar PV installation prices in Ireland in response to their original request.

You are of course free to settle on any basis you wish, my advice wasn't to you.

My suggestion with that boards.ie thread (and most of the megathreads on there) is to read it from the most recent post backwards. Within 2 pages at the moment you'll come across 4-5 other quotes for solar panels and can start to get a good sense of what the current market rate is for a system.

In Haille's case they'll see others are receiving quotes at least a few thousand below the quotes they've received, so they can push their supplier further or reach out to somebody on boards.ie to see where they got their quote.

Many thanks for all your suggestions.The Boards.ie thread was very helpful also.Great to get independent advice as once you start looking for quotes unless you can compare them it is very difficult to decipher

I got another quote from a company in Ulster for 16 panels 345 watts. 5 kw pure drive battery, 5 kw hybrid solis inverter, WiFi dongle, price €10900 including vat.€3000 grant off the above figure.Any comments

You have come a long way from your first quote.

Depending on house type, single or two storey, roof type (Slate, tiles or other) that latest quote may be very competitive. Who pays for the BER required for the Grant Application?
Can you pay Net and have the company receive the grant directly?

What is your intention here.

That's a decent quote, allthough if you're looking for a system to pay for itself ASAP, a much smaller sytem will do this much more quickly.

If you're looking to minimise your own consumption from the grid, environmentally motivated etc then a battery system may make sense but the financials are up in the air currently.

I got another quote from a company in Ulster for 16 panels 345 watts. 5 kw pure drive battery, 5 kw hybrid solis inverter, WiFi dongle, price €10900 including vat.€3000 grant off the above figure.Any comments
Decent quote. Could you ask them for a 6kw inverter for the same price? Will help future proof in case you want more panels going forward.

I got a quote from for 12 panel 4.7 kwp system plus 4.8 kwp battery pack €13,353 - €3000 grant = €10353 or for the same 12 panels with a 7.2 kwp battery pack €14,998-€3000 grant = €11990. A requirement is that after the installation the BER rating must reach C3 minimum or my BER must be at least a D before installation. When I contacted a local assessor he quoted me €600 for doing a BER which seems exhorbitant.
I also got a call from Active 8 who quoted me €19,502 originally less subsidy awarded for advertising €2352 less €3000 grant .Total €14,250. On his written quote he does not seem to have written what the quote included??
Is the first quote reasonable.?I have lots of roof space. Is planning permission needed for more than 12 panels?
Both overpriced. 4.7kw with 4.8kw battery should cost about 6k after grant.

Back