Solar Cooling Tank

ciaranie

Has anybody had the problem of their solar panels getting heated by the tank? In the evening when the sun has pasted the solar panels that the panel still reads the same temp & when the solar panels do drop temp so does the bottom of the tank. This evening at 7 o'clock my panels where reading 60c at the panels and 54c at the bottom of the tank so I turned the pump of and the panels dropped to 46c. This has happened every evening until the bottom of the tank's about 35c and causes the boiler to come on. The solar pumps comes on at 8c about the bottom of the tank and is meant to go off at 4c above. I can't figure this out.

This is difficult to read.

To begin with, is the reason that the temp at the bottom of the tank is dropping due to the fact that you are running a hot tap somewhere & hence cold is feeding the bottom?

It also looks as though there may be setting problems or system fault given that you have to turn off the pump - you should not have to do that.

When you say "The solar pumps comes on at 8c about the bottom of the tank and is meant to go off at 4c above" do you mean that the pump switches on when panel temp is 8 dgrs > bottom of the tank & that the pump switches of when panel & bottom temps are within 4dgrs. If this is not happening then check the settings to begin with.

Nobody in house today to run tap & it still started cooling.Checked all setting all ok. Even gave it a factory reset. I tried turning off the pump during the day to see what would happen the the panel temp when past 90c so I turned it on again. Can't figure out why the temp of the panel is still high at about 7 or 8 o'clock in the evening when the sun has past. The pump will knock of automatically but only when the panel cools to about 40c, but then the bottom of the tank is cooled.

It could be that the check valve on your solar circuit is simply not functioning properly leading to parasitic gravity circulation from your solar hot water storage cylinder to your panels when the pump is off

Some contollers have a setting on them for a different system used in the continent . There is a pumping time setting on the controller. If you set this to on & off at the same tme it stops the pump cutting in & drawing the water off your tank . I discovered this hapening because our electricity has been going off a lot & the controller went back to factory settings.

Back