Software to Manage Employee Data

Nutso

Hi All,

I am looking for a software package which can manage all employee data. It would be used for a HR function but also from a health and safety perspective.

I would like to be able to record:
Name, address, pps, employee number
Copy of contract
Details of training both on site and externally
Details of any correspondence on behalf of the employees e.g. child benefit forms, social welfare, banks, letters provided for any reason
Details of any warnings, verbal or written
Copies of A1 certificates & applications, PAYE exclusion orders and applications, foreign employment permits & applications

I would also like it to flag up any training due for e.g. training is going to expire on a certain date we would get notice to arrange a new course.
I would like to be able to attach copies of pdf to each entry if necessary.
I would like to be able to enter training for multiple employees without going into each employee record individually.

Can anyone recommend a package that has this functionality or is this something we would have to commission?

Thanks,
Nutso

Have you looked at products like BambooHR, Zoho People, Workday, SuccessFactors (SAP), Recruitee, Planday, ADP Workforce Now, Sage HRMS .... (plus a few dozen more I can't be bothered to list)
There is plenty of solutions out there, they are usually all customisable to your specifics needs if the standard functionality on offer isn't a fit for your requirements.

I would not recommend anyone to commission a bespoke solution. There's plenty on the market, fitting small to very large companies.

I agree with Newirishman.

Another two to consider are TMS and Softworks

Each of these systems works like billy bookshelves. They are bought off the shelf but you must get it customised to your needs by the provider. Do your homework before you approach any company.
List your requirements in detail
Ask for a detailed breakdown of how they will meet the requirement and how much work will be required to customise it to your needs. Its easy for the costs to rack up.

You dont mention pay at all. Will the HR system manage hours, sick leave, rostering and link to a payroll system ( this gets more messy).

Dont forget that you need to understand your data protection needs and design accordingly.

The PPS numbers and disciplinary issues can only be visible to staff who absolutely need it( eg not the training officer) and IT security must be tight.
An audit trail of all access to the system and all edits is required .

A well designed system will help so put the work in up front to get it right.

Thanks for replies

Pay will continue to be paid through the regular payroll and there is no need to manage hours, sick leave, rostering etc.

It is more to manage the data that we have on employees. We have a lot of information currently saved via type for e.g. all contracts in one folder. While I would like to keep the information like this (it makes it easy to search for a type of document), I would also like to be able to access all the data for each employee in one place. Payroll info would be separate but I don't see this as being an issue from an admin point of view.

We had discussed using a spreadsheet with links to documents, but I think we may need something more robust. I did have a look online, however got a bit bamboozled by all the various options and functionalities so I was hoping to get a recommendation for one in particular that I could look at more closely.

There are only 2 office staff (approximately 150 staff on site across a number of sites/countries). Would there be any issue with both staff having access to all the information? It would be necessary from an admin point of view, covering holidays etc etc.

How many employees and what is your budget for software acquisition and licencsing and user training? Do you expect the new software to run on existing servers/network on existing hardware? Do you anticipate you will need new hardware to run the new system (extra users, server expansion, network upgrade? Do you have an existing SOR/RFQ or do you intend developing one?

We currently have 150 employees, this should not increase drastically, however there may be a small increase.

We do not currently have a server. We work via filesharing on Dropbox. This has worked well to date, however I have been the only member of office staff; site management have access to a different dropbox with no sensitive information. We will now have a new staff member who will also access the same Dropbox as I do.

We do not have a budget for software acquistion/training - hence the original suggestion to record on excel (I'm drowning in various Excel sheets here!). I have no idea what the cost of the software is but would need to have some idea of the cost/benefit to bring it to the table. The director is not adverse to spending money if necessary but cost would be a factor. Things have been run on a shoestring to date.

As for SOR/RFQ I have no idea what that is so I would say the answer is no!

SOR = Specification of Requirements
RFQ = Request for Quotation

Only you know the costs / opportunity loss / productivity overhead of operating under the current regime.

Have you looked at importing the current setup into Access or Filemaker Pro?

We don't have any setup currently. It's something we are just starting but will do retrospectively for all data held.

Back