Social welfare payments for children of deceased Father

Dowee

Apologies for the thread title, I couldn't think of how to describe it accurately.

Perhaps someone might be able to help me with the query below. I'll describe the situation first.

A foreign friend of mine was married to an Irish man, they had 2 kids, got divorced, she moved back home (out of the country). He was paying maintenance etc. He died and so now she is receiving nothing for the 2 children (there was no life insurance etc). She has since re-married.

My question is, is there any state or social welfare payments which she can apply for in relation to the children? I have looked on citizensinformation.ie but I can't really find anything that is applicable to the situation.

Thanks

The children would have a claim on their father's estate. If he left no estate then there would be nothing to claim from, and apart from having Irish citizenship, there would be no money that I know of that they could claim as they dont live in the country. Even if you all lived here and the parents were working the only payments would be the child benefit. I dont understand why you would think Social Welfare would make payments for two children just because they happen to have an Irish father?

Thanks for your response.

I dont understand why you would think Social Welfare would make payments for two children just because they happen to have an Irish father?

I'm asking the question (for my friend), I thought that was one of the purposes of this website, to ask questions and hopefully get answers to them.

Back