Social welfare claim on mothers will

Really happy for you and if there's another life out there then i'm sure your Mum's smiling too.

Just as well you didn't take the advice "not to appeal it". I would now look closely at their new set of figures, rather than saying "phew" to make sure that the €16k has been properly calculated also.

Here’s an update...my brother, the executor had produced legal evidence of mam’s Inheritance which she received from my father.
So it appears that the original calculation was made based on a sum of money in your mother's bank account at time of death and possibly back to age 66 or so?
At the time she would have started receiving a widow's pension, did SW not then ask her did she receive an inheritance from her husband?
How many people on a non contributory pension declare the inheritance they receive when a spouse dies?

Just as well you didn't take the advice "not to appeal it". I would now look closely at their new set of figures, rather than saying "phew" to make sure that the €16k has been properly calculated also.
There are 7 others involved and it's been a long process so we're going to draw a line under the whole affair
How many people on a non contributory pension declare the inheritance they receive when a spouse dies?

That's a good question

There are 7 others involved and it's been a long process so we're going to draw a line under the whole affair

I think that's kind of sad. I am sure €16k would have been a lot of money to your mother and possibly your Dad. I would fight tooth & nail to ensure that all calculations were correct. Easy Come, Easy Go springs to mind.

Delighted to hear your good news.

Tip:- For others out there who are doubtful about SW figures presented to them always request a Review first. If still not happy and cannot resolve the situation, then go for an Appeal. (It's a lengthy process)

So it appears that the original calculation was made based on a sum of money in your mother's bank account at time of death and possibly back to age 66 or so?
At the time she would have started receiving a widow's pension, did SW not then ask her did she receive an inheritance from her husband?

Inheritance from spouse wouldn't make a difference, aren't a married couples means assessed in total anyhow and half means against each?

Back