Social Housing

Sounds appalling to me, but I accept you haven't actually provided much detail.
Images of an Amazon, Netflix, Spotify, Apple, Sky etc type landlord comes to mind. Where nobody actually owns anything anymore (save the giant landlord) and the citizenry, or consumer, or (most likely) peasantry, provide continuous stream of rental, or subscription based fee for the services provided.
Fine for the latest movie or album, but for a home? No thanks.
All somewhat apoplectic I admit, but perhaps you would care to expand your idea?
It works in other cities all over the developed world.
You don't like people renting with long term lease (say 10 or 20 years) and rents tied to inflation (like in those other countries) but you have no problem with people taking out mortgages for 20 years and paying a bank twice the value of the property over that period. Strange.
My only reservations are the competence of our politicians, as I doubt their ability to legislate to protect the tenant and landlord, and the ability of our public servants to frame the legislation and then regulate the sector to ensure that the laws are being upheld.
I'd like to see harsh sanctions against landlords who break the rules up to and including prison. I know of a builder who built 3 bedroom apartments when he only had planning permission for 2 beds. He said that it would be 5 years before he was forced to convert them to 2 beds and in the mean time he'd make a killing. If it took 6 months to force him to correct things and he was facing 6 months in prison at the end of it he's have a different attitude.
I'd like to see the same sort of harsh rules apply to tenants; noise pollution, litter and dirt, not paying the rent on time and in full and antisocial behaviour should all be things that see tenants evicted within weeks, not months and years. Willful damage to a rental property should be paid for by the tenant through a deduction from their welfare payments or wages if necessary.

You don't like people renting with long term lease (say 10 or 20 years) and rents tied to inflation (like in those other countries) but you have no problem with people taking out mortgages for 20 years and paying a bank twice the value of the property over that period. Strange.

Where did I ever say anything like that?

My only reservations are the competence of our politicians, as I doubt their ability to legislate to protect the tenant and landlord,

Makes the whole thing pointless then if it can't be legislated for to protect both landlord and tenant.

Where did I ever say anything like that?
Yea, fair point. :)

Makes the whole thing pointless then if it can't be legislated for to protect both landlord and tenant.
It does indeed. I'd rather see the effort being put in to that legislation and protection instead of potentially wasting hundreds of millions of Euro hiding incompetence behind a screen of ideology.
If it turns out that the best option is for the State to build Houses then the State should build the houses. If it tuns out that long term renting is the better option then that's what we should do. Either way left or right wing ideology and some BS about greedy developers or exploitation or whatever just shouldn't enter into the discussion.

If it turns out that the best option is for the State to build Houses then the State should build the houses. If it tuns out that long term renting is the better option then that's what we should do

So who decides the best option?
Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the sentiment. We have the CSO, ESRI etc to inform us of best practice, but ultimately it will take a political decision. If the answer is more social housing, but we elect a government that disagrees (or typically, supports the independent body, but dilutes and amends the recommendations) and thinks the private market is the answer, what do we do?

Back