Social Housing - Creating a monster

So there is no shortage after all? You mean this thread is a waste of all our time?
What is all the fuss about then?

I have been wondering just that.

Do you dispute my figure of more than 14,000 homes available for €250k and under at the moment.

I have been wondering just that.

Do you dispute my figure of more than 14,000 homes available for €250k and under at the moment.

No, I take your word for it.
But I suspect you are omitting a crucial point. Isnt that a national figure? Isnt it possible that there isnt enough properties in the areas where there is demand?

Yes it is a national figure, there are 700 such properties in Dublin.

However it does mean that the expectation place on social housing, is not just to provide housing, but to provide housing in desirable locations.

50% of housing offers in Cork are refused, I do not know the figure for Dublin.

Yes it is a national figure, there are 700 such properties in Dublin.

However it does mean that the expectation place on social housing, is not just to provide housing, but to provide housing in desirable locations.

50% of housing offers in Cork are refused, I do not know the figure for Dublin.

Sorry, this doesnt make sense. We are talking about a €70k income social housing tenants who it is suggested that they now 'move on'.
You inferred that they buy one of 14,500 properties for sale.
Clearly, both now in gainful employment, the number of properties plausibly available to them is restricted to those properties which are located within commuting distance to their work. In which case, (say Dublin central is where they work) they are caught up with all the other buyers with incomes of €70,000 trying to find a home.
So im asking, where is the incentive to progress a career if the reward for doing so means losing your home? In the absence of suitable alternative accommodation, all they would be doing is adding to the homeless crisis when in fact there is no need to as they already have a home.

You are right because you are not making sense. Or rather you are not thinking through what it appears to be what you are saying.

Lets take an example. An unemployed couple with one child are afforded social housing (LA has determined they have no other suitable accommdation). The man eventually gets a job as truck driver, the woman trains as an accountans assistant. Joint income is now €70k. Are you suggesting that because of this new found income they should now vacate their home to make way for others in 'greater need'?

Yes or else they should be paying the same rent/mortgage that their neighbors who live in the same estate but aren’t in receipt of social housing are paying. My household income is about 70k and I am not in receipt of social housing and you think I should accept finding out that people next door to me who might have been given a social house when times are tough are still paying a lot less than than me in rent and mortgage even though they earn the same as me? And it And they will continue to do so because you think it is mean that we might just have re-evaluate their need to social housing? And this is paid for by every taxpayer? And then you talk about welfare traps. You seem to believe that once you are in social or subsidized accommodation, you should always get the benefit no matter what. Why not extend that ridiculous logic to other forms of welfare? Keep your unemployment benefit even when you get a job.....

Last edited:
Sorry, this doesnt make sense. We are talking about a €70k income social housing tenants who it is suggested that they now 'move on'.
You inferred that they buy one of 14,500 properties for sale.
Clearly, both now in gainful employment, the number of properties plausibly available to them is restricted to those properties which are located within commuting distance to their work. In which case, (say Dublin central is where they work) they are caught up with all the other buyers with incomes of €70,000 trying to find a home.
So im asking, where is the incentive to progress a career if the reward for doing so means losing your home? In the absence of suitable alternative accommodation, all they would be doing is adding to the homeless crisis when in fact there is no need to as they already have a home.

Dear God. Why is their situation any different to the thousands of people also earning 70k but who were ever fortunate/unfortunate enough not to need social housing at one point in their lives? You talk about not picking on one cohort of society but that is exactly what you are doing. You are saying those in social housing earning the same amount as those not in social housing should not be held to the same affordability/income criteria as people not in receipt of social housing. That they should not be paying the same rent or mortgage as people earning the exact same amount are paying privately. Or else you think everyone should just be given a social house. Which is it?

So where would they move too?

else they should be paying the same rent/mortgage that their neighbors who live in the same estate but aren’t in receipt of social housing are paying.

Which is what? Do you not realise people pay different mortgage rates? Have you heard of people borrowing too much? Are you suggesting that because someone borrowed far, far too much for a property that a SH tenant should also have to pay far,far too much?
What if their neighbours have paid off their mortgage, do they get to pay nothing at all?

should accept finding out that people next door to me who might have been given a social house when times are tough are still paying a lot less than than me in rent and mortgage even though they earn the same as me?

So where is the incentive for someone in SH to advance their career if all that will happen in doing so, will to the rewards gobbled up in rents or equivalent mortgage rates?
Think about it logically.

And it And they will continue to do so because you think it is mean that we might just have re-evaluate their need to social housing? A

Again, faced with prospect of being moved to an, as yet unidentified location, and all the potential disruption with that and having your new found income gobbled up by prevailing market rates, how would that incentivise anyone to actually go and educate and train themselves? It wouldnt, thus your proposal is actually to perpetuate the welfare traps that you want to eliminate.

And this is paid for by every taxpayer?

Including SH tenants who earn €70,000.

And then you talk about welfare traps.

Your proposal is the most certain perpetuation of welfare traps. Your proposal has no insight into resolving issues in welfare traps, it is purely centred on what you perceive to be an injustice perpetuated on you.

Why not extend that ridiculous logic to other forms of welfare?

Because you obviously have zero concept of the fundamental need and function that housing brings to a society. It is an essential for everyone.
To give some perspective, the actual amounts of people and families who are either sleeping rough or in unsuitable accommodation is, in % terms, tiny and miniscule relative to whole population.
The consequences however for the homeless are quite often devastating. That is why it is such an important issue. That is why it is not anything like other welfare benefits that can be chopped and changed on rates and rules.
Housing is essential for the social well-being of any society. It has been since the dawn of civilization (FIS, JSA, CB, Widows allowance, etc, etc, havent not been.)

Keep your unemployment benefit even when you get a job..

See above - unemployment benefit and housing are not comparable. The analogy is inept.
If a SH tenant were to buy their own home, then in that circumstance they should vacate the SH property.

Why is their situation any different to the thousands of people also earning 70k but who were ever fortunate/unfortunate enough not to need social housing at one point in their lives?

It is not. Your proposals only add to the woes of those seeking to buy their own property.
Think about it logically. If there are 5 people looking to buy a property on the open market, what good would adding a sixth person do,?

You talk about not picking on one cohort of society but that is exactly what you are doing

You have admitted you havent a clue how to resolve the housing crisis. Your only proposals so far would have the effect of perpetuating welfare traps and adding price pressure to already heated markets. You singulary make things worse for everybody.
The answer is to build more houses. If the market is failing in that regard, which it has, the State should intervene - which it is doing, but time will tell if it is sufficient.

Last edited:
Why is their situation any different to the thousands of people also earning 70k but who were ever fortunate/unfortunate enough not to need social housing at one point in their lives?

You're not getting it Sunny. Once someone gets a council house they are entitled to keep it regardless of the change in their circumstance. The last thing anyone in a council house should have to endure is moving somewhere else or even, God forbid, putting a roof over their heads themselves (that's reserved for those stupid enough to rent or buy a place of their own). That would be tragic and an indignity to them. You see it's all about protecting the social fabric. If someone could just educate those pesky families with young children living in hotels of this we'd all be grand.

Anyone for some prawn sandwiches?

but for the State to charge a rate that effectively makes them equivalent to private profiteering landlords is simply a non-runner.
Are you saying that people charging the market rates for their properties are profiteering?

My landlord is charging me well below the market rate as he reduced to rent a few years back to keep me there and he's now stuck charging a low rate because of rent controls.

The last thing anyone in a council house should have to endure is moving somewhere else or even, God forbid, putting a roof over their heads themselves (that's reserved for those stupid enough to rent or buy a place of their own).

You are not making sense Firefly. You fail to distinguish between someone being forced to 'move on' by virtue of their improved circumstances as is being suggested here, and willingly moving on by virtue of their volition.
Perhaps eventually, as someone in favour of forced eviction for having the audacity for going to work, paying taxes, and contributing to society, you could answer this - where will the SH tenants go if forced to move out?

If someone could just educate those pesky families with young children living in ohotels of this we'd all be grand.

Those 'pesky families' living in hotels are in some instances, working families, earning an income who cannot find suitable accommodation.
You want to move working people out of SH because its not fair that other working people cannot find suitable accommodation. Can you not figure how insane that is?

Are you saying that people charging the market rates for their properties are profiteering?

My landlord is charging me well below the market rate as he reduced to rent a few years back to keep me there and he's now stuck charging a low rate because of rent controls.

Sometimes you just have to accept that we are talking in general terms and not every specific case.
Just as in business there are people losing money, I think it can be regarded that incentive to become a landlord - in the broad generalised scheme of things - is to make a profit.
I have absolutely no issue with anyone doing that, as long as they are providing value for money, but I would certainly take exception to the State charging 'market rates' off its citizens.

You are not making sense Firefly. You fail to distinguish between someone being forced to 'move on' by virtue of their improved circumstances as is being suggested here, and willingly moving on by virtue of their volition.
Perhaps eventually, as someone in favour of forced eviction for having the audacity for going to work, paying taxes, and contributing to society, you could answer this - where will the SH tenants go if forced to move out?

You have wrote so much nonsense in your posts above, I don't even have the inclination to discuss it anymore. Comparing two neighbours where one might be paying a higher mortgage rate or where one might have paid off their mortgage with two neighbours where one is in receipt of public money to subsidise their rent/mortgage even when earning the same money as their next door neighbour is probably the most illogical post I have read in a long time.

Has to be just trolling. The alternative is just scary if you actually believe your logic. No wonder you are a supporter of decentralised crypto currencies. Public finances in your world stand no chance.

You have wrote so much nonsense in your posts above, I don't even have the inclination to discuss it anymore. Comparing two neighbours where one might be paying a higher mortgage rate or where one might have paid off their mortgage with two neighbours where one is in receipt of public money to subsidise their rent/mortgage even when earning the same money as their next door neighbour is probably the most illogical post I have read in a long time.

Has to be just trolling. The alternative is just scary if you actually believe your logic. No wonder you are a supporter of decentralised crypto currencies. Public finances in your world stand no chance.

So when faced with the blindingly obvious that your suggestion of comparing neighbours and their mortgage/ rent payments to be absolutely absurd, you decide to attack the player instead of the ball.

My household income is about 70k and I am not in receipt of social housing and you think I should accept finding out that people next door to me who might have been given a social house when times are tough are still paying a lot less than than me in rent and mortgage even though they earn the same as me?

I think you are starting to understand why any proposals to move people out of social housing by virtue of their improve circumstances - without taking into consideration where it is they are supposed to move to - is an absurd proposition.
I'm guessing you are probably starting to figure out that you would be unable to find such a proposal operating anywhere in the EU, but are simply not up to admitting that.

You have wrote so much nonsense in your posts above

Has to be just trolling.

The ones that are trolling are the ones who create threads with titles like "Social Housing - Creating a monster [emphasis mine].
And then to attempt that you have a social conscious but really what all this is about is "Whats in for me?" or "What do I get out of it?"

You have no, or very little understanding of the function of housing in a society. You, have by your own admission, not a clue how to resolve the housing crisis. And your proposals, none of which are adopted anywhere in the EU, are shown to perpetuate welfare traps that your purport you want to eliminate.

Sometimes you just have to accept that we are talking in general terms and not every specific case.
; to make or seek to make an excessive or unfair profit, especially illegally.
Are you suggesting that, in general terms, landlords are seeking to make an excessive or unfair profit, especially illegally? If now you should withdraw your remark. If you are then you should substantiate it.
Just as in business there are people losing money, I think it can be regarded that incentive to become a landlord - in the broad generalised scheme of things - is to make a profit.
I have absolutely no issue with anyone doing that, as long as they are providing value for money, but I would certainly take exception to the State charging 'market rates' off its citizens.
If someone in social housing can afford to pay the market rate and is not charged that rate then they are being subsidised by the tax payer. While we have families sleeping in hotels, a suicide epidemic among young men and boys, and many other areas which need funding I don't think that's an appropriate use of government money. I would be interested to know why you think that people who can afford to pay market rents should be subsidised by people who can not.

I think you are starting to understand why any proposals to move people out of social housing by virtue of their improve circumstances - without taking into consideration where it is they are supposed to move to - is an absurd proposition.
Why do you think that one household should subsidise another when their circumstances are the same/
Why do you think that this is a good use of state resources?
Why is it selfish to ask why one family gets a home provided to them even though they can afford to provide their own while another family with a much lower income has to live in a hotel?
How is it socially just not to ask the higher income family to pay a market rent and use that money to house the other family?
What's selfish about asking those questions?
I think it is you who is playing the man rather than the ball by implying that anyone who doesn't agree with your views is selfish or self centered.

Back