Soarview/Freeview

Discussion in 'Phones, DVDs, TVs, Audio/Visual' started by stobear, Jan 10, 2018.

1. stobear

stobear Frequent Poster

Hi
    I hope this is in the right forum to capture the knowledge!

I have a second hand Aviva 250 combo receiver. I wish to install it to get Soarview and also Freeview channels. I think I need an aerial for Soarview and a dish for the Freeview channels. Is it possible to get just a dish that will receive both? I am limited in th size of dish I can get and would therefore like your recommendation.

I have cancelled my Virgin Media TV service as it full of rubbish so I can easily get by with above once I know what I need.

2. Leo

Leo Moderator

Depending on where you are, an internal aerial may suffice for Saorview, but a satellite dish can't receive terrestrial signals, so you will also need an aerial.

3. MrEarl

MrEarl Frequent Poster

Hi,

You cannot pick up both Saorview and Freeview from the one dish, you need a dish for Freeview and a separate antenna for Saorview.

Depending on your location, you may be able to get away with a 60cm satellite dish, but many parts of Ireland really need an 80cm dish to ensure a decent signal on all channels during bad weather.

Likewise, your location will influence what you need for Saorview. If you are very lucky with location, you may get away without any antenna, or perhaps just a small one in the attic. I have an outdoor one on the side of my chimney, but it's very small and because it's small and not a solid deflector (unlike a satellite dish), you need to look fairly carefully to spot it.

Best to get an independent engineer out to do an assessment. They can check signal strength for both services, suggest locations for a dish and antenna etc. I would expect most do this for nothing, as part of a survey to give you a quote for work that you may need done.

4. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

I think you mean a Ferguson Ariva. No, you need an aerial and a dish. They are both types of aerials, but picking up quite different signals. The dish in particular is very directional, as it must point at a particular satellite in the sky, and focus reflected signals onto the little receiver at its centre, from whence they travel down a coaxial cable to your Ariva. The Saorview aerial, by contrast, picks up terrestrial signals, i.e. ones broadcast from a local transmitter instead of from space. It is less directionally sensitive, though its orientation still matters.

If you are in a good Saorview coverage area, the signal will be strong enough that you only need a simple little indoor aerial that you can buy and set up yourself. They're available in lots of electrical and TV shops. But for the dish you will need it mounted externally, pointing south/south-east, and done by a competent installer who will measure the strength of the satellite signal as he adjusts the direction.

5. stobear

stobear Frequent Poster

Many thanks for the replies folks, very informative. I am in Ratoath (Meath) and suspect the nearest Soarview transmitter is Three Rock. Any recommendations for supplier of hardware and installers?

6. SparkRite

SparkRite Frequent Poster

A 60cm would be fine where you are and if you are any way handy they are simple to set-up. Remember they do not have to be high up as long as they have a clear view of the sky pointing at 28.2 degrees east of south for FreeSat (not Freeview as that is terrestrial (UK) ).

I would try a cheap indoor ariel first for Saorview and see how you get on with that before looking for an outdoor one.

7. Leo

Leo Moderator

As SparkRite says, easy enough to set up the dish yourself. You can get a signal meter for less than €15 to help you align the dish.