Snowboarding in Canillo, Andorra

Carnmore

Has anyone stayed in Canillo and snowboarded there or in the general area such as Soldeu?

I was in soldeu and encamp either side of it. Once you get a pass you can pretty much go anywhere once you get off the initial gondola. A bus connects them all as well.

Update: the bus journey is 5 minutes from the accommodation to either Soldeu or El Tarter. I'm looking for a beginner snowboard school and slopes - does anyone know which one would be better? Also, would there be much to do in the evening for a solo traveller?

Last edited:
There is a ski school at them all. They are all serviced by a large Gondala initially and once up there there are a few small slopes. The school will then take you up and around to the bigger ones after a day or two. Plenty of blue slopes which are a small step up from beginner for you to try.

There is a ski school at them all. They are all serviced by a large Gondala initially and once up there there are a few small slopes. The school will then take you up and around to the bigger ones after a day or two. Plenty of blue slopes which are a small step up from beginner for you to try.

Is there any particular snowboarding school which is good? And should I book the gear hire, lessons and pass online and how much should it cost?

Andorra is a good place to learn to ski/snowboard I think; very reasonably priced, passable food, lots of fairly easy terrain etc. As you get better at it you'll want more of a challenge and can then venture to France/Austria/Italy etc.

I would book as much online as possible, so yes to your gear, lessons and pass. The more you book the less you'll end up wasting time there wondering where to get things, queuing etc. If you're a complete beginner then I don't think it will make a massive difference which school you book, just pick one that has a website that you can book online. Again as you get better you might consider a day or two with a private guy/gal as it can make a big difference, but not for those first few weeks of learning I think...

Sorry it's been a while but I usually book the school when I got there but check out for online discounts for the gear and the school. I'm pretty sure that the passes were a standard price for the 6 days. If you are a beginner then chances are you wont make the different towns like soldeu, pas and encamp by snowboard for at least a few days if at all so look out for the free bus that connects them all or the local ones that are fairly cheap. Good thing about boarding is that the shoes are a lot easier to walk in so it's worth taking a chance to get elsewhere by board.

Just book equipment hire and lessons then?
Assuming you mean don't book the ski pass, then I would say yes. The first time I went I had a full week pass and needed at least two break days in that. I don't fully recall but sometimes after that we used to get a 3 day pass and then take a day or two break and get another pass for the rest. Not sure f it was much cheaper but one guy got an injury and so it saved him a bit as he didn't renew. AFAIK there are no discounts to the lift passes as they cover the whole range but you can get a gondola only daily pass which gives access to the restaurants and bars at the mountain bass.

Back