Snow Chains/ Winter Tyres

Armada

Hi All,

Had friends over last night and one informed us that if you fit snow chains to your vehicle tyres you need to inform your insurance company before doing so.

Can somebody please clarify or confirm this please?

No. You wouldn't. If it it is something that minimises the risk why would you? Its not a modification to your car. its the equivalent of putting a roof rack on.

But aren't snow chains illegal for road use here?

You should only use chains when there is a good covering of ice/snow on the road...so you might use them getting out of your estate, but you would need to take them off once you got to the main (clearish) road.
Somewhat of a risk to the donner/doffer in Ireland where we don't have pull in areas for this purpose.

You also need to put them on the wheels the power goes to...ie in a BMW that would be the rear wheels, whereas most cars it is the front wheels.

Winter tyres are an expensive option.
But you could possibly buy just 2 for the power wheels.
Ideally you would have them on hubs so you could easily put them on and off yourself.
Getting the tyres alone put on and off your own hubs is expensive...worth it if your dealing with these conditions all winter...but that's unlikely.

The disadvantage of leaving snow tyres on for the entire winter in the absence of snow/ice would be fuel efficency and in my experience , wicked static in the car...ie you get a shock every single time you get into or out of the car.

Snow tyres are AMAZINGLY effective in this weather....amazingly.

Its pretty crazy out there at the moment. I have a BMW and last year (or was early this year) I got caught out. The rear wheel drive means you get no grip whatsoever. I couldn't even go up a slight gradient and slipped all over the road. This year I just bought something called snow socks or other such things. Essentially they are a touch fabric that you put over the drive wheels like chains and are supposed to give you additional grip. They are easy to put on just pull over the wheels.

I tried them this year and have to say they are brilliant, only word for it. From the worst car on the road its now become one of the most stable cars on the road. They do look a bit silly and you look a bit of a twit. But not as much as I used to.

P.S not affiliated to any particular manufacturer and their are lots of alternative brand etc on the internet.

Good Luck

I drove a car for a few hours this evening with snow tyres..In a word..Fantastic!!!

Thank you for all that info...

I do drive a BMW but that has been parked up for the last few days.

I never thought it was actually illegal to use chains but then I don't really know a lot about them either way.

I see that Autocar did a quick test to show the benefits of winter tyres

[broken link removed]

This article in today's Irish Times is good:

[broken link removed]

Do not exceed 50 kph when using Snow Socks.

In the face of all this snow I think the best thing to do is simply......

[broken link removed]

I've been ringing around some of the main tyre suppliers looking for all-season tyres. All the places I've phoned have only been able to offer me summer tyres with pretty poor snow ratings (tyretest.com)!

But aren't snow chains illegal for road use here?
why would they be illegal? In most snow-used countries like Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands etc. it is illegal not to have them when weather like this is outside. You're insurance company wouldn't cover you in these countries if you drive without winter tyres.

wazee1974 - can you PM me and let me know where you got your snow socks from? and what's the average price? Thanks

Last edited:
There was a man on Morning Ireland - Radio 1, this morning from some advanced centre of driving (in Ireland), he spoke about the Snow Socks - said they are available at fastfit.ie and cost around €75. He also said to carry a bag of Cat Litter with you in the car, and if you're really stuck somewhere to put some of that on the tyres/ground and it will get you moving!

Out here in Romania I change my tyres over to winter tyres at the start of November and keep them on until the end of March. The difference between driving on summer tyres and winter tyres is like day and night. On snow, whilst you can't throw it around corners etc., your braking distance is only a bit longer than on a wet summer road. On ice you can keep it in a straight line easily especially if you switch the ESP on. I don't use chains because usually the local authorities have the roads sorted on the 2nd or 3rd day after a heavy snowfall. They're prepared for it.

I'm going to have to imminently drive up to Ireland so I think I'll bring my folks and my sister each a set of winter tyres as their Christmas present. Assuming they can get to a Quik Fit to change them over!!!

snow shoes

Does anyone know if there is a mobile mechanic doing snow shoes, fitting them etc. Haven't ordered them yet on internet, but need to get out and about as soon as possible - haven't taken my car out in almost a week. Also, do snow shoes definitely work. Elaine.

Hi Elaine

I have used chains and not snow shoes.
But IMHO its not realistic to have someone else put them on for you.

You need to be able to put them on/off yourself.

Youtube is a great resource for this sort of stuff.
I'm sure if do a search you'll find a video on it.

Snow Tyres

Hi! Mommah,

Thanks for your reply. I avoid everything with cars. My partner hates anything to do with them. But I guess I will have to learn to do the myself!

I believe snow chains only work in deep snow, I am sure you have seen them by now but another option is the tyre socks , they fit them on your back wheels. The only thing is that they need to be removed once you are out of the snow and onto tarmac: a lot of work.

We have the snow socks but apparently they go on the front wheels (unless you have a BMW), seem to be very easy to take on and off and definitely made a difference.

We have the snow socks but apparently they go on the front wheels (unless you have a BMW), seem to be very easy to take on and off and definitely made a difference.

Its not just a bmw - for any rear wheel drive car you need to put them on both the back and front (power and steering) wheels.

How are people managing with the snow socks now though - the main roads are fine - does that not shred the snow socks off the tyres? I thought they were only to be used driving on snow and ice, not on cleared roads?

Back