Snagging and Contract first time buyer

P

planning

Hi,
I hope I have posted in the correct forum. New to this site.
Story so far: I put a deposit down in Feb on an apartment in a new estate. The apartment is ready to move in and fully furnished. I waited four months to receive the contract which finally arrived last week. My solicitor has sent off a few contract queries. I arranged with a survey company to get the apartment surveyed and snagged before the solictor sent back the signed first contract to speed up what has turned into a snail paced process. The survey company told me he knew theforeman and would arrange everything with him. The survey company came back to me and told me that the foreman would not let him carry out the survey and
snag. I rang him up myself and he told me that the sellers solcitor has said that I CANNOT CARRY OUT A SURVEY OR A SNAG LIST ON THE APARTMENT. I couldn't believe what he said. Then he said that maybe I could submit a small list. I told him that I was not fussy and that I just wanted to make sure that any major defects like gas/ ESB/ plumbing are ok. What is he/she hiding??? I called my solictor about this and they haven't got back to me yet. I am a first time buyer and just want somewhere to live after a decade of renting. I had decide that day before the phone call not to get the survey done and just get the snag done. Now I don't know. What use is a survey???
Are they trying to make me pull out? They also gave me a week to close

what are my legal rights to been
allowed to have a snag and a survey carried out and when are they normally carried out. I don't understand why they need to be done after the first contract as you are legally obliged to buy the property or forfeit the deposit. I think I might start looking for another apartment somewhere else but don't really want to. Please help........

Back