Snag lists and Structural Surveys

R

ripoffeire

im just in the middle of buying affordable housing in waterford area and have to get the snag list and structural survey done i rang a guy yesterday about doing this for me and he said its 300 for snag and 100- 200 euro for structural survey is this normal or just a complete rip off any suggestions?

Hi,
In short.....rip-off!!! if it's an AH property presumably it's brand new.....therefore no need for structural survey as far as I know. 300 for a snag is a bit steep....is it a house or apartment? I paid 200 for a 2 bed apartment in Dublin about 3 months ago, price included the re-inspection after snags were rectified.

... if it's an AH property presumably it's brand new.....therefore no need for structural survey as far as I know....
A structural survey combined with the snag-list on a new build, AH or not, is an absolute must.

Do not assume because its a new build or AH that planning requirements and so on will have been complied with - read the previous threads on here about nightmares on new builds.

I'd say €300 / 400 + VAT for the two including a re-construction cost valuation for your insurers would be reasonable value.

There will usually be a re-inspection charge (less than €100 inc. VAT) to review the snag-list once the builder "completes" it.

BTW - three reports :

1. Snag-list
  2. Valuation certificate for re-construction
  3. Structural Survey

Mathepac,

Forgive my ignorance....Im buying an AH property and when I enquired with the guy who did my snag he said no need for structural survey, it's covered by Homebond or something to that effect so I didn't bother pursuing it!!! And at no point did anyone mention the valuation certificate for re-construction to me.....unless is this is the valuation carried out on behalf of my lender?

FTB1975

Are Structural Surveys and snag lists the same thing just one goes into more detail than the other? Also do you need to have a Structural Survey done on a newly built house?

Are Structural Surveys and snag lists the same thing just one goes into more detail than the other? ...
In my opinion, no, as I've already said -
A structural survey combined with the snag-list on a new build, AH or not, is an absolute must.

Do not assume because its a new build or AH that planning requirements and so on will have been complied with - read the previous threads on here about nightmares on new builds...
If you feel they are the same thing and are happy with that, that's your decision.
... Also do you need to have a Structural Survey done on a newly built house?

There's a number of threads here about this issue to which I have already contributed.

... when I enquired with the guy who did my snag he said no need for structural survey, it's covered by Homebond or something to that effect so I didn't bother pursuing it!!! ...
Homebond is an insurance policy that is included in the price of your house - its also a handy way for builders / developers to do their Pontius Pilate act after you move in; "Your house is fallin' down you say Missus? Jays I'm sorry to hear that, but its not our problem, we have the house signed off by you, your bank, your snagger and your surveyor. In anyways, haven't you got Homebond, surely they'll fix you up?"

Regarding reconstruction costs - When you buy a new house you pay for several things, amongst them are :

1. Above ground, the house, garden, garden walls - the stuff you can see in other words
  2. Below ground, foundations, water, electricity, gas, phone and sewage connections - the stuff you can't see
  3. The site itself
When a house is valued for sale or purchase all of the above plus premiums for location, location and location all enter into the valuation equation.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a serious fire or other catastrophe in your home, you will hopefully have an insurance policy to cover the costs that enables you to restore your home and contents to the state they were in before the catastrophe.

This will normally involve rebuilding some of the items listed in 1. above, but there is no necessity to rebuild the foundation or to repurchase the site. Hence reconstruction costs for insurance purposes are different to house valuations.

This is a fee charged by the lender to get a property professional to value the property and to find out if the property is suitable to mortgage. A valuation report is prepared by an independent valuer on the lenders behalf and the lender usually passes the cost (€130 - €150) on to you - although if you arrange your mortgage on Moving.ie, we'll pay this fee for you. Obvious faults with the property are often mentioned, but it is highly recommended that you get a snag list (new property) or a structural survey (second hand property) completed when you buy a property.
Structural Survey:
This is a full inspection of a second hand property to ensure that it is structurally sound. The lender does not require you to have a structural survey, but it is in your interest and is a great protection for home buyers.

Would you buy a second hand car without consulting a mechanic? In a similar way surveying the home is the only way to ensure that the property that you will spend hundreds of thousands of euros on, is sound.
Snag List:
When you buy a new property, a snag list should be arranged at the completion stage, to outline the 'snags', small problems, or unfinished pieces of work that need to be completed, before you complete the sale.

[URL=http://findcriminallawyer.com]criminallawyer[/URL]

Homebond is an insurance policy that is included in the price of your house
how do i find out if im covered by homebond sorry for the silly questions but i really havent any knowledge of things like this.

Folks,
Im totally confused now....

"Structural Survey:
This is a full inspection of a second hand property to ensure that it is structurally sound. The lender does not require you to have a structural survey, but it is in your interest and is a great protection for home buyers."

"Snag List:
When you buy a new property, a snag list should be arranged at the completion stage, to outline the 'snags', small problems, or unfinished pieces of work that need to be completed, before you complete the sale."

But basically it'd be advisable to get both on my new build property...to-be-sure-to-sure?

And Mathepac .......nice impression of a typical builders quip ......:D

"Your house is fallin' down you say Missus? Jays I'm sorry to hear that, but its not our problem, we have the house signed off by you, your bank, your snagger and your surveyor. In anyways, haven't you got Homebond, surely they'll fix you up?"

Well in all seriousness I can laugh now but I wouldn't be laughing if my bath falls thru the floor!!! :eek: So all suggestions will be taken on board.

Thanks guys
FTB1975

Mathepac,

Forgive my ignorance....Im buying an AH property and when I enquired with the guy who did my snag he said no need for structural survey, it's covered by Homebond or something to that effect so I didn't bother pursuing it!!! And at no point did anyone mention the valuation certificate for re-construction to me.....unless is this is the valuation carried out on behalf of my lender?

FTB1975

HomeBond usually only covers the first 10 years. After that the owner is on his/her/their own.

Hi Ripoffeire,

I got a snag list and structural survey done this time last year on my house, which is a 3 bed end of terrace. The engineer was from Galway but the house is in Kildare and it cost me €280.

Important questions to ask before engaging a professional to survey your property.

1. What exactly does the survey cover?

A typical survey should cover settlement or movement in house foundations, movement or cracks in the houses exterior structural walls, condition of roof timbers, roof coverings including flashings, chimneys and gutters, interior attic space, floors, interior walls and ceilings, stairs, windows, doors, ventilation, dampness, insulation, drainage and an overview of plumbing, electrics and heating systems.
If you have any particular concerns bring them to the attention of the professional.

2. Is the professional specifically experienced in surveying residential buildings, is it their core business and how many surveys have they completed?

This is probably the most important question to ask. The professional should be able to provide information about their company and should have referrals from previous clients. Related professional experience is helpful, but is no substitute for training and experience in surveying residential properties.

3. How long will the survey take?

The average on-site survey time is one and a half to two hours for a house, anything significantly less may not be enough time to perform a thorough survey.
Times will vary and are subject to varying factors like the age of the property, is it old or new, the size of the property and whether there has been significant alterations or extensions carried out.

4. How much will the survey cost?

Prices vary, depending on the location, size, age of the house and the services within the property. A typical range would be €300-€500. The cost of the survey does not necessarily reflect added quality.

5. What type of survey report is provided and how long will it take to receive the report?

Far to many reports are awash with technical terms. It is important that the report is easy to understand by the buyer who in most cases has no technical training. Most professionals will provide a verbal assessment of the property after the survey and a written report within a matter of days.

6. Can I attend the survey?

If you (and your partner) can make time to attend the survey, it is very worthwhile. You will get a greater understanding of the condition of the property. It should also be of benefit if you are considering making any structural alterations or thinking about building an extension. For insurance reasons in particular it is important to let the estate agent know in advance that you will be attending the survey. Most estate agents will not have any issues with the buyer attending the survey as long as they are advised when a survey is scheduled.

7. Is the professional a member of an association whose members are qualified and trained in surveying properties?

8. Is the professional covered by professional indemnity insurance?

Finally, after engaging the professional make sure you read and understand the contents of the report. In particular pay attention to any defects noted in the report and if there are areas of the property or any services that where not examined during the course of the survey.

Problems or concerns mentioned in your professionals report won’t go away and may cost you significant expenditure in the future to remedy.

Your negotiating position disappears after closing, so make sure everything is taken care of before then.

Back