Snag list: how long do you get to complete and send it to the builder?

Sarah

Anyone know how long you get to complete and send the builder a snag list. We were expecting to move into our new house around the start of October but when i called the forman on the site of our new house he said that he will probally be sending up a nofification to do the snag list next week and im wondering how long you get from when the notice is sent out untill you have to hand the snag list to the builder. We are doing our own snag and im hoping to delay doing this untill about another two weeks. Any info much appriciated!!!

Re: Snag list

Hi Sarah

Dont know if this helps but we were notified of our snag date just over 2 weeks beforehand. We're doing our snag next Tues and have been advised by the builders that we will probably close a week and a half to two weeks later...

Edited to add: We have been informed that we must hand back the snag list to the foreman no later than 24 hours after doing it...

When we snaged our house, our engineer went out about 10 after we were told it was ready. As we were very picky about a lot of things, it all dragged out for another 3-4 weeks. Make sure to tell the foreman not to contact you until EVERYTHING was done. We verified the snag list ourselves, and I had to go out 3 times, as everytime, something wasn't done.

Sorry for bringing this subject up again but i have been informed that we only get 7 days (not sure id that working days or not) from the day we get the completionnotice to do our snag list. This seems to me to be a very short time frame but then again what do i know. Is this the normal time period and can it be delayed without sacrificing your right to having any snags fixed?

Thanks again!!

I agree with Chris.

I got my house professionally snagged for major problems. I stayed on and did a detailed snaglist myself. When I obtained the profession snag list , I edited it with additional snags I had found - and was also very picky.

Within a few days the estate agent was on saying all snags were complete. I knew this to be untrue as I always visited the site after hours. In the end I agreed to perform a second snag even though I knew stuff was still outstanding.

When I still refused to close, I ended up dealing directly with a director of the (well known) builder. It then got very nasty. The builders solicitor threated my solicitor with removal from the recommended list if he did not force me to close. They accussed me of stalling on purpose (not the case) and said I would loose the house unless I closed. In the end I was forced to close with an undertaking that remaining sangs would be completed.

After a few months the snags remained. I got fed up calling the estate agent / builder who would not take my calls. I contacted the builder's solicitor directly and got abused and accused of harassing him. He really got my goat up, so I decided to report him to the law society - only to be told I couldn't (only my solicitor could!). However, it did the trick - next day the foreman was at my door completing the snags.

The solicitors and builders have all the power, not the poor (over charged) customer - Buyer beware!

I really hope I cross paths with the builder's solicitor in the future, so I can give him some of his own medicine. It's high time overpriced conveyancy is deregulated like in the UK.

I am in the process of snagging using the 55 page snagging.org checklist and have noticed that the showers (one power and one electric) are mounted on plywood. I am concerned about the amount of sound this will generate when they are on i.e. like having a generator running in the house. Should they be mounted on plywood? On the spec it says that all stud walls are soundproofed but surely it would have been more sound insulating to mount them on plasterboard?

Plywood is used to provide "grounds" for fixing the showers, screw fixings in plasterboard wouldn't last very long. Also plywood enables plumber to accurately first fix the pipework for the showers. So don't worry

I switched the pumped one on today and it made quite a loud vibrating noise. On the spec. it says all stud walls are sound insulated so should it still be noisy?

Back