Snag before or after moving in?

spinal_tap

Just wondering — a new build in a new estate. It'll be finished next month. Do the snag items need to be rectified before we move in? (I'll be getting it snagged by the engineer around the completion date)

What is the norm, because we were thinking of moving in around the completion date? (The builders will still be on site afterwards).

best to try get it all done efore you hand over the final cheque gives the builder more incentive to get the problems sorted!

We got all major items completed before we moved in, but then found that there was no issue getting smaller items done once we were in the house. Usually a call to the foreman saying we needed plumber, carpenter etc to do bits and pieces was enough to get stuff done. However, this will vary from builder to builder...maybe you should check with some people who have moved in already to see what their experience was?

Yes - definitely try to get snags identified and dealt with before closing. You may be lucky getting them sorted afterwards but I wouldn't bank on it.

Plus do you really want builders/ carpenters/ plumbers in and out of your house once all your stuff is moved in and the place is clean?

They're very reputable, that's why I was wondering. Hadn't considered the messiness factor though for when all the furniture is in. Thanks.

Please do your snag before you move in. From our experience, once you close that is it. Thankfully it was my brother who was qualified to carry out our snag. Three times, the building company wanted to meet us to confirm what it was we wanted fixed. In my opinion, they were dragging it out in order for us to lessen the list. Because it was my brother, we were happy to keep up their game and in the end we got eveything completed. But if we were paying an individual, I would hate to see the costs involved.
Best of Luck

Definitely get it done before you move in, we are in our new house 12 weeks and still nothing done...down everyday...like talking to a brick wall...

Back