Smoke alarm problem - help!

vixter

Hi all, the smoke alarm went off at 5.30 this morning in our apartment (much to the joy of my neighbours I am sure) for no apparent reason. We replaced the battery a few months ago.

The alarm is an Aico ionisation smoke alarm EI 141 mains operated with battery backup.

It didn't sound like it normally does if it goes off with cooking etc, a series of fast very loud beeps, but was a continuous blaring alarm. We could not get the cover off and my husband ended up breaking it off.

We removed the unit but the part fixed to the ceiling and mains continued making the sound. A minute or so later it went off completely. My alarm is a ionisation smoke alarm attached to the mains but with a battery back up. We will obviously have to replace the alarm as the unit we took now has a broken part (it's like a computer switchboard) from when we took it down, but in the meantime I am worried that it is going to go off and I won't know what to do. Is there any possibility that all alarms in my block are interconnected and there could be fault somewhere and other people's alarms were going off as well?

I am loathe to start trying to unscrew the mains bit to check the wire for fear I will set the damn thing off again and also because, to be honest, I am not sure what to be looking for and would probably electrocute myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
a spider may have crossed the sensor on you alarm if you have one, or it could be carbon monoxide reader sensing some levels or just simple a once off fault with your unit if it occurs again return it for a new one or repair as i think they have a 5 year guarenttee, the other issue is if you live in appartment blocks or so forth this model alarm can be connected to up to 7 others so it may be somebody elses that is mistakenly linked to yours

Thanks for your reply. I reckon if it was just a spider crossing the sensor or something I could just stop the alarm with the hush button like I would normally do. The hush button wouldn't work for us, we couldn't get the unit off and eventually we ended up having to break it off. I do have a gas boiler so the carbon monoxide reading is a possibility but the gas hadn't been on for hours at that stage. I am going to get someone to look at it but just worried it might go off again as it is connected to mains and I have no way of turning the electricity off. It was just so strange that it was a completely different alarm sound to ususal.

Again, thanks.

Back