Smelly face cloths

newseeker1

Any tips for stopping face clothes/fnannels from getting smelly
I wash them every week in the wash machine but after a day or 2 they are smelly again and you can get the smell from them on your hands and face when you use them

Any tips to stop them getting smelly?

Thanks

They are probably sour, from not having been dried out properly, at some stage or repeatedly. We had some towels like this. My wife couldn't get the smell but I found it horrible! My skin would take the smell if I used them.

My solution is to replace!

Boil them or hot wash them and then dry them properly and as quickly as possible.

I had the same issue with towels as fraggle mentions above. I think they had sat in the washing machine too long after the cycle had finished or didn't dry very quickly on an airer. Anyway, a couple of 90deg hot washes later and a drying in the tumble dryer and the smell was gone.

I find sponges are a better idea. Ramer is good brand but not cheap as sponges go. I think they are on sale in Boots and Dunnes. Good brand baby sponges are softest of all.

Old fashioned way of boiling in large pot with some detergent is only way or 90 degree wash in machine as posted above

Use a cup or two of white vinegar instead of detergent in the washing machine to wash out the smell.

I change them everyday. I let them dry first and then into the laundry basket.

I would never use a damp facecloth as its full of bacteria.
Give them a good rinse after use and then straight on a heated towel rail..otherwise its a clean one daily. Damp cloths harbour bacteria. If kept dry I think you will not have any odour. Also of course they need to go in washing machine at 60 every 3-7 days.
The above works for me.

Rinse in really hot water and dry on an airer.

They still need frequent washing though, as they tend to go hard no matter what.

Get rid altogether! Facecloths and dishcloths are banned in my house. They harbour bacteria...which kinda defeats the purpose of washing anything using them!

I had this problem with towels and found it was related to liquid washing detergent. Changed to powder tablets and don't have this problem any more. No smell at all. Change face cloths very regularly though....agree re the bacteria.

Make sure they're rinsed out well and hang them somewhere to dry, then swap them every couple of days.

Back