Smell in hall and landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

Hi
When we get up in the morning after the house and windows have been closed up for the night and when we come home from work after house been closed up all day, over last couple weeks we've noticed strange smell or odour in the hall and also when you get near the top of the stairs and onto the landing

Its hard to describe what the smell is like - its like a lack of air smell or stale air or heavy smell

The smell goes within few mins of opening the windows and you cant notice it while windows are open

We thought it might be from carpet on stairs and landing but got professional to steam clean the carpet but smell still there...:(

Anyone ever had same issue or anybody have any suggestions what source of problem might be or how we could go about figuring out what source of problem could be :confused:

Thanks

could be some sort of leak - stagnant water can smell awful. I had similar experience and it turned out to be leaking central heating pipe.

I remember a few years ago I had to refill a u shaped pipe that provides a seal to prevent smells in the hotpress of my sister in laws apartment. I think it was linked to the waste water outlet or something. There was a bad smell in her apartment and it was a plumber who had worked on the apartments when they were built that told me what to do. Maybe you could ask the original builder if there is anything that could be causing the smell.

We had a similar scenario. In our case it turned out to be some damp coming up through the floor. The carpet was dry on the surface however when we lifted it the underlay was wet underneath in one area resulting in a damp mouldy smell. And like your scenario this was really only noticeable when returning to the closed up house in the evening or after being away for the weekend.

Regards
Franm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back