Smell and taste of mould from water.

Grizzly

I live in Blackrock Dublin. I have noticed a bad taste and smell of mould from my water over the past 10 days. Has anyone else noticed this?

Water taste changed in Dalkey over the same period, to the extent that I started using bottled water. I thought the taste was just more earthy than usual, and put it down to some local building works. Not sure I could call the taste mouldy though, and there is no smell.

Definitely a taste and smell from my tap water where I live close to UCD Belfield. I have also started using bottled water. Not everyone in the house has noticed. Some have and some haven't.

I reported it last week and this is the response that I got.

Thanks for getting in touch.

"We can certainly look into this on your behalf, if you can provide the following details by private message:

- Name;
- Address; and
- Contact number."

I questioned as to why they needed my exact details and this was their further response.

and

"As we are not aware of any similar instance in your area, we would like to investigate this matter for you. In order to do so we need those details".

Strange that it is reported in the newspapers and Irish Water don't seem to be aware of the problem?

Hi Soylent

I understand that they will send someone out to you who will take samples and analyse them.

If you don't tell them where you live, they won't be able to do that.

Brendan

I gave them the name of the road that I live on and mentioned that a couple of other people in the area had noticed the problem. I only wanted to know if there was a problem in the area. They said that they were not aware of any problem. It now appears that this might not be the case. I find it hard to believe that nobody else reported it. Then again maybe nobody did?

Irish people tend to assume someone else reports it. Maybe a reason we end up with poor customer service. Those that do complain regularly probably go over the top and aren't taken seriously.

A very good summary.

A standard response I get when I make a complaint : "No one else is having the problem". I tell them that is not true it's just that no one else has reported the problem.

Brendan

"the piles her?" Try [broken link removed]

Info from the thread mentioned on Boards this reply from Irish Water:

Hi Living Off The Splash,

We've been informed by the Local Water Department that you are served from the Ballyboden Reservoir.

This reservoir is an uncovered treated water reservoir and there is a project currently underway on-site to deliver a covered reservoir by Quarter 4 2018.

The sampling results for the reservoir indicate the presence of very low levels of an organic compound called Geosmin. It can result in some people detecting a slightly earthy taste or odour from their drinking water.

We can confirm that there is no threat to public health and all samples comply with the Drinking Water Regulations. We have increased our normal water quality sampling programme as a precaution to keep the situation under close review. We have put in place measures at the reservoir site to address this issue.

We hope this information will be helpful. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Kind Regards,
Siobhan

I was speaking to the manager of one of the supermarkets in my area and he said that sales of bottled water had gone through the roof.
I know of a few families where some cannot smell or get the taste from the water while other family members are tearing their hair out in frustration at this.

The sampling results for the reservoir indicate the presence of very low levels of an organic compound called Geosmin. It can result in some people detecting a slightly earthy taste or odour from their drinking water.

This cannot be right. There must be very high levels of the stuff in the water. How did it get there and could it have been anticipated and prevented.
I have lived in the same area for 35 years and I have never had an issue with my drinking water. For the past two weeks we have been purchasing bottled water. My tap water really smells and taste awful.

Was thinking on Monday WTH is Grizzly on about, my water is perfect in Blackrock if anything it smells a bit to clean
Then this morning made a pot of coffee and my day is ruined, its undrinkable, smells alright, looks alright but tastes like VIPoo.

Latest update.

"The HSE have been consulted on this issue and measures have been put in place to address it including:

- Increased sampling and visual inspections
- Increased bird control and monitoring
- Additional drainage
- Increased dust control and monitoring

The EPA also audited the reservoir at Ballyboden on 23 August and are satisfied with the actions and monitoring in place to address this current taste and odour issue and that there is no immediate risk to water quality.

According to the World Health Organisation in their Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality geosmin has 'aesthetic concerns, not public health issues'.

Irish Water therefore can confirm that the treated water at Ballyboden complies with the Drinking Water Regulations. We have increased our normal water quality sampling programme as a precaution to keep the situation under close review."

Someone told me the water in Sallynoggin has the same issue. It seems very widespread. I'm surprised Irish Water seem so blasé about the issue as according to Wikipedia Geosmin is a bacterial product.

Last edited:
I don't think it's toxic and humans can smell very small concentrations. The dangerous ones are when there is contamination and no visible sign or odour. At low levels of geosmin the water smells bad. By the time it's at toxic levels, even the hardiest of humans wouldn't touch it.

Back