Smart TV

DeeKie

We’ve had a TV for 12 years or so. It’s worked very well, and with google chromecast we’ve all the functionality we need. My son uses an old wii on it too. The sound is starting to go. I’m going to buy a new one in the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions about what to look out for?

If you're happy with the TV you could just get external speakers such as a soundbar and go from there?

What are your requirements in terms of size, features, budget?

AV Forums tend to do pretty decent reviews of all major models.

What are your requirements in terms of size, features, budget?

AV Forums tend to do pretty decent reviews of all major models.
Thanks. Our requirements are that we generallybuy quality with a good reputation. After that TV, Netflix/other streaming services capability and one that doesn’t stalk or listen to us (I’m not kidding). I’d love one we could use the wii on but it might not be possible.

So you're looking for a smart TV, but you still haven't told us what size or your budget, both of which will have a bearing on a recommendation .

I’d love one we could use the wii on but it might not be possible.

Just wondering why you are thinking this ?

Richer Sounds seem competitive and I have found them good to deal with. If you check out their site you should be able to shortlist some that fit your criteria for size, brands, costs, etc. If you give them a ring they will answer any specific queries. As said, I have found them helpful with advice and info - and not pushy. Free delivery, as far as I remember.
Anyway : https://euro.richersounds.ie/c-14-alltv.aspx?swapstore=1#pgnum=&sort=.

Am looking for a 55inch, no upper budget limit. I want it to be thin, with silver (not black) frame. I don’t even really know what I am looking for tbh. I’m trying to arm myself here before hitting a sale room! I did go to currys one day and came away fearful of having met the wrong salesman. I think hdmi is required for the wii but new tellys don’t have one?

I think hdmi is required for the wii but new tellys don’t have one?

Is it an old Wii requiring phono connectors? All new TVs will have hdmi inputs, some might only have hdmi inputs, but most mid level or above will also have a component input.

Silver frame will significantly cut down your options though.

I'm a fan of Panasonic TVs, not the cheapest but the performance stats are usually well up there. I'd avoid Philips, their quality has gone downhill since they outsourced all manufacturing, not sure if they've recovered yet.

PowerCity have very similar prices to RicherSounds.

Sony are also excellent - I have one myself. Here is the 55" in silver [broken link removed].

I think you may have difficuly getting one with anything more that hdmi though. I don't know about adapters.

Don't spend too much on it. TVs are practically 'disposable' now. IMHO over a grand is too much for a 55".
Just make sure it's at least 4K and has HDR. Most 55" TVs will have multiple HDMI ports.
I also like Panasonic, however I think most modern TVs have put more emphasis on picture quality at the expense of sound quality.
So maybe allow for the addition of a sound bar ?

Few things I considered when buying one a couple of years back -
Curved or flat? Personally I prefer flat, but check them out in the shop and think how it would work from various viewing angles in your house.
Does it have a receiver built-in for Saorview?
Does it have a satellite receiver built-in? Handy if you have a dish and want to tune in the free channels.
Ensure it has enough HDMI ports. 3-4
SCART is analogue and quite a few TVs are digital only these days. However for €20 you can buy a SCART-to-HDMI adapter on Amazon which would be worth a try.
You may want a new Chromecast as the built-in equivalent are often only OK.
As others have said, must be 4K/UHD.
If you choose any of the decent brands the screen quality will be fairly similar, by paying more you get a thinner bezel, better CPU for the various apps, more ports, more receivers etc. But there are diminishing returns here; you probably don’t want to surf the web on it, 3D is fairly naff at home etc., so as others have said I’d stay well below €1000.

Something like this would probably float my boat if I was looking today - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-h...ra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-bixby-10191733-pdt.html

Last edited:
Few things I considered when buying one a couple of years back -
Curved or flat? Personally I prefer flat, but check them out in the shop and think how it would work from various viewing angles in your house.
Does it have a receiver built-in for Saorview?
Does it have a satellite receiver built-in? Handy if you have a dish and want to tune in the free channels.
Ensure it has enough HDMI ports. 3-4
SCART is analogue and quite a few TVs are digital only these days. However for €20 you can buy a SCART-to-HDMI adapter on Amazon which would be worth a try.
You may want a new Chromecast as the built-in equivalent are often only OK.
As others have said, must be 4K/UHD.
If you choose any of the decent brands the screen quality will be fairly similar, by lying more you get a thinner bezel, better CPU for the various apps, more ports, more receivers etc. But there are diminishing returns here; you probably don’t want to surf the web on it, 3D is fairly naff at home etc., so as others have said I’d stay well below €1000.

Something like this would probably float my boat if I was looking today - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-h...ra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-bixby-10191733-pdt.html
You are a star. Thanks

If you are thinking of a sound bar, having one of the HMDI port support HDMI ARC is handy. It carries audio from the TV to the sound bar, so you don't have to wire any other peripheral connected to your TV to the sound bar too.

PowerCity have very similar prices to RicherSounds.
Powercity's customer service is awful if something happens the tv. I bought an LG there that lasted 4 days (manufacturing fault) and they wouldnt' cover it under warranty.

I bought a replacement in Currys (which I highly recommend) and opted for the monthly insurance at €3.50.

Powercity's customer service is awful if something happens the tv. I bought an LG there that lasted 4 days (manufacturing fault) and they wouldnt' cover it under warranty.

I bought a replacement in Currys (which I highly recommend) and opted for the monthly insurance at €3.50.

Don't think I ever had to return anything to them, but oddly enough I had a similar experience with Currys. Took a few months and the initiation of small claims proceedings to get them to to accept responsibility for a warranty issue.

Those monthly insurance policies are probably the worst value for money you can get!!

Don't think I ever had to return anything to them, but oddly enough I had a similar experience with Currys. Took a few months and the initiation of small claims proceedings to get them to to accept responsibility for a warranty issue.

Those monthly insurance policies are probably the worst value for money you can get!!
It's why I stick to Richer Sounds. I have always found them knowledgeable and helpful. And they give a 6 year guarantee.

Back