Smart Telecom - switching back to Eircom

Certina

Hello,

Has anyone that is a current Smart Telecom Phone + Broadband customer switched back to Eircom.

Tried 3 times to do this via telephone to Eircom to no avail. On hold for 10 minutes then cut off.

Also - the Smart Telecom deal is for 1 year - does anyone know if a customer is liable for the outstanding part of the year or is that fact they can't offer service enough to void the contract if you switch back?

Thanks.

With smart myself, at the moment I'm hoping things will sort themselves out :)

Failing that, esatbt seem to have better options than eir€om.

Also, I believe it's only the phone customers who have to find a new supplier in the next 2 weeks, us BB+phone customers should be ok...
[broken link removed]

Also, as a gesture of good will, I think we've been upgraded to 6MB until the end of the year, if your line supports it.

Worst comes to worst, I'll survive a few days or even weeks without a landline & broadband, so I'll wait until then.

Remember that Eircom are still by far more expensive than all other providers....while smart has been dissappointing,there are many other providers in a far better financial state.What about Imagine,talk talk,perlico just to name a few....

Also, as a gesture of good will, I think we've been upgraded to 6MB until the end of the year, if your line supports it.

Was this stated anywhere in particular. I have the bb & free line rental of just 35euros a month with the 3mb speed.

If one was to sign up for Smart's broadband package now (€35 p.m. for 6Mbps + line rental, 12 month contract) how does one arrange for voice services thought another provider (not VoIP)?

I don't think you can use another voice operator if you sign up for Smart Broadband, at a guess most of their customers don't care since broadband will be main or only reason for signing up. Their phone charges were competive at least against Eircom's standard offering the last time I checked.

Certina you need to be reunbundled, Eircom rebundled you and Smart have to sign you up again, you'll need to contact 1800718555 opt 1 for this. You do need to verbally agree a 12 month contract. Eircom take 2 weeks to complete the reunbundling.
I took this option, I reckoned it would take at least more than 2 weeks to sign up for BT, and although Smart are in a precarious position I felt the service is good enough to take the risk. (And maybe ComReg will learn something from this and encourage Eircom to not take so long connecting customers)

This announcement mentions the 6MB upgrade [broken link removed] There's also discussion in the forums on the site.

If one was to sign up for Smart's broadband package now (€35 p.m. for 6Mbps + line rental, 12 month contract) how does one arrange for voice services thought another provider (not VoIP)?
Smart Admin said:
At this time, we would also like to clarify that our broadband customers will continue to receive full voice and broadband services from Smart Telecom.

It is our non-broadband customers (WLR/CPS) that are unfortunately affected by this two week period in which they must find an alternate provider.
Taken from Tigers link above. [broken link removed].

As stated by Tiger and confirmed by Smart, the BB customers will continue to recieve the full service (BB+Phone). The phone only customers must find another provider but this has no effect on the BB Phone service.

So you don't need to find/arrange another voice service provider.

If it was more an issue with the Smart call costs/rates rather than assuming that they wouldn't provide the call service I'd (as usual :p) suggest 13434 to reduce costs.

Why isn't this information being more aggressively pushed by Smart Telecom? To me the overall market coverage seems to indicate that no matter what, if you're with Smart Telecom, you need to change. Which doesn't actually seem to be the case.

Just to clarify the quote above, that is specifically in relation to CMs query. If you go for the BroadBand package "you don't need to find/arrange another voice service provider"!

If your on phone only, you do need to find another service in the two week period.

Taken from Tigers link above. [broken link removed].

As stated by Tiger and confirmed by Smart, the BB customers will continue to recieve the full service (BB+Phone). The phone only customers must find another provider but this has no effect on the BB Phone service.

If it was more an issue with the Smart call costs/rates rather than assuming that they wouldn't provide the call service I'd (as usual :p) suggest 13434 to reduce costs.
Thanks Satanta. Sorry - I missed that point and assumed that Smart would be ceasing to provide any voice services presently.

Have to say, the 6mb offer does make it very tempting at that price! None of the competition comes close to that offer. Although confidence in the future of the company (even with the current dealings) will mean it'll recieve a shaky take up.

Edit: Do new customers recieve the 6mb offer or is that only for existing customers? Found answer, available to both.

Apologies for labouring this point but (a) can existing voice only Smart customers upgrade to BB and stay put (b) do new BB customers also get voice services? I'm tempted to take the chance if (b) applies. I'm wondering about (a) for my mother who wants BB now.

Apologies for labouring this point but (a) can existing voice only Smart customers upgrade to BB and stay put (b) do new BB customers also get voice services? I'm tempted to take the chance if (b) applies. I'm wondering about (a) for my mother who wants BB now.

Re (b)... according to the website, yes.
Smart said:
Smart Broadband
  • Faster download speed of 6Mb
  • Faster upload speed of 256Kbps
  • All for €35.00 (incl. VAT)
  • Free equipment, this includes a 4-port router, two splitters, cables and a power supply
  • Free equipment delivery
  • No connection fee
  • No monthly limits
  • Self-installation
  • Bundled product, this includes your Smart Broadband and free line rental
  • Optional wireless modem for €140 (incl. VAT)
  • No extra phone line is required
  • You can talk on the telephone and surf the net without any interruption
  • Freephone number for all technical queries.
  • price includes line rental of €24.18
[I believe (from memory so open to correction) this is the same terminology as used in the previous offer]

Also....
Smart said:
[broken link removed]
  • Save 17% on your line rental
  • Unlimited Local and National calls
  • New 6Mbs Standard Package
  • Special promotional price of €35
Re (a)... If a non smart customer can sign up for BB+Voice then an existing customer should be able to upgrade to the BB package. Worst case they may have to sign up with a new Smart account I'd assume? (I've yet to see it mentioned anywhere that existing phone customers can change over.... seems a very poor move by Smart if they don't push this)

Thanks - I wasn't taking the website for granted because I assumed that the might not have updated it to reflect any recent issues. I'll give them a call and see what the story is and post back with any useful info.

Some of the website has (details relating to the new offer given in a few places) and some of it hasn't (still listing the 6mb offer of old instead of updating the entire site).... really not a good move when trying to win back consumer confidence.

I'd tend to trust the areas where the updates have been included, but definatly not a given.

So - are you moving to them yourself? I'm considering it myself.
The only issue I have is the twelve month contract. Originally a tenant on six month lease (work related with associated time frame for project) now staying on longer but with no guarantee of renewal in current property (to do with work details - no problems from landlords point of view).

So when the contract can't be scaled down without breaking the terms tough to opt for it. Given the 6mb speed it could be worth taking the risk as chances are will still be there come 12 months time.

(Think a call to the boss could be coming :D)

[Ended up going for Chorus Cable BB due to no time limits on contract - service ok, sporadic poor d/l speeds at random non-peak times but mostly fine]

Back