Smart Meter Installed Installed Recently, Want To Move Provider

dec_obrien

Hi, we recently had a Smart Meter installed (part of the roll-out, not requested by us). It replaced a Day/ Night meter. We are currently on a Day/ night Tariff via Energia and wat to change to a standard 24hr rate (not a smart tariff). We only have around 20% night usage so a day/ night tariff doesn't really make sense. Can we change providers and not go on a smart tariff? We've never been on a smart tariff so I think the answer is 'Yes' but not sure.
Thanks

I had a smart meter installed also as part of the roll out but am not on a smart plan. My understanding of it is that you can change and stay on a standard plan once you never switched to a smart plan. I believe there is no going back though when you have changed over to a smart plan.

want to change to a standard 24hr rate

The problem with the 24 hour rates is that they are quite often more expensive than the day/night/peak plans.

Can we change providers and not go on a smart tariff?

Yes you can change providers but insist that you want to remain on a non-smart tariff.

As Thomas says above there is no going back as I understand that it is the Regulator who sets the rule. I would have to say I do find the Smart plans are great for giving you an insight into your usage but most people do seem to think that the rates are higher.

I would have to say I do find the Smart plans are great for giving you an insight into your usage but most people do seem to think that the rates are higher.

You don't need a smart plan to see your detailed usage from your smart meter. A breakdown of your actual usage - collected at 30 minute intervals - is available by registering with

I imagine this is the same info you would get via a smart plan.

Annoyingly it seems the data resets when you switch provider.

Recently got a smart meter, and registered on the ESB networks site to get the usage data. After collecting about 2 months of data I went through the exercise of figuring out if a day/night/peak, day/night, or 24h Smart Tariff (with and without “free” weekends) is best.
It was a bit of spread sheet work but well worth understanding which time of day we use most electricity, and if e.g Peak time usage would cause an issue, or the those ‘free weekend’ tariffs would make a difference.
it was also interesting to model how moving usage out of peak hours, or from day to night hours, would impact the bill.
In our case it was also clear that the only way to reduce the monthly bill to any useful extend is to overall reduce usage.

Ended up with a ‘standard’ 24h smart tariff (same rate all day) which is on offer from many providers. The benefit compared to a non smart tariff seems to be mainly that your electric provider receives the usage data directly and in “real time”, instead of 2-monthly or so readings. Which makes for much more accurate bills, and some providers will give you some useful usage analytics (so you don’t have to do your own spreadsheet)

YMMV - but It really depends on your usage pattern which tariff is most effective.
The smart meter or smart meter plan will not by itself increase your electric bill - especially if you select a 24h tariff.
I have reasonably accurate usage records since 2015, and my electricity usage hasn‘t suddenly jumped since the meter was replaced.
Electricity prices have gone up quite badly though, especially the last two years.
Reviewing the prices on your bill regularly, and moving to a cheaper provider whenever your contract ends is really helpful. The smart meter (and automated readings) do help with this.

Electric Ireland have a standard 24 hour plan available in their smart plans. I believe SSE have too.

Electric Ireland with their 14% disc and current €100 cashback is the best value in the market at present

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll register for the usage data from ESB Networks and see if that says anything interesting (it's only installed about 3 weeks) but anything has to be better than the tariff we're on at the moment (€0.487 day unit, €0.2336 night unit).

I would have to say I do find the Smart plans are great for giving you an insight into your usage but most people do seem to think that the rates are higher.
Based on ~3 months of data here, the best smart plan offer would be ~€50 cheaper than the best non-smart plan. That was a surprise for me as I work from home and expected the resulting skew towards daytime use would make non-smart plans a no-brainer. That said, €50 wasn't enough to convince me to lock in to a smart plans forever just yet.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll register for the usage data from ESB Networks and see if that says anything interesting (it's only installed about 3 weeks) but anything has to be better than the tariff we're on at the moment (€0.487 day unit, €0.2336 night unit).

You might find https://energypal.ie/ useful. It was recommended elsewhere on AAM. I thought the figures were a bit mad but did a few calculations over the week-end and they did appear to be close enough.

Back