Smart Meter, have not switched to Smart Plan but no options?

lollipop

I've read up as much as I can on the smart meters and am still confused. I switched to a smart meter a few weeks ago (not realising the hassle with plans!) but didn't sign up to any smart meter plans as they were much more expensive than what I was on. ESB Networks assured me when installing it that I was under no obligation to move to a smart meter plan. However it seems I am with my provider (Flogas). Are they allowed to do this given that the smart plans are completely non competitive in terms of price? Its forcing me to pay a higher tariff, its like I am being penalised for moving to a smart meter. This was my email this morning from Flogas when I asked about moving to a non smart rate plan and why they are not suitable for smart meters

It is simply part of the transition of the whole network to smart meters and all new applications and renewals that have smart meters installed must have smart plans applied. Our sales team can inform a bit better on the subject if you give them a call on 0412149555; I am sorry I can’t be of more help.

Kind regards,

XXX
Customer Service - Back Office,
Flogas Natural Gas Ltd.

I've read up as much as I can on the smart meters and am still confused. I switched to a smart meter a few weeks ago (not realising the hassle with plans!) but didn't sign up to any smart meter plans as they were much more expensive than what I was on. ESB Networks assured me when installing it that I was under no obligation to move to a smart meter plan. However it seems I am with my provider (Flogas). Are they allowed to do this given that the smart plans are completely non competitive in terms of price? Its forcing me to pay a higher tariff, its like I am being penalised for moving to a smart meter. This was my email this morning from Flogas when I asked about moving to a non smart rate plan and why they are not suitable for smart meters

It is simply part of the transition of the whole network to smart meters and all new applications and renewals that have smart meters installed must have smart plans applied. Our sales team can inform a bit better on the subject if you give them a call on 0412149555; I am sorry I can’t be of more help.

Kind regards,

XXX
Customer Service - Back Office,
Flogas Natural Gas Ltd.
Change provider. Bingo problem solved

Change provider. Bingo problem solved
Thing is though, will this apply no matter what provider I use? Will I be forced onto a smart rate every time? Also I signed up for the Community Rate which is the cheapest out there to be told it wasnt suitable for a smart meter. So looks like this is how they are forcing customers into taking up smart plans.

but as above, if their options don't suit, move to someone else.
In which case this thread might be worth checking:

No, you are under no obligation to move to a smart plan. Suppliers are free to only offer you smart plans if they so choose, but as above, if their options don't suit, move to someone else.
Thanks, this should probably be included in the FAQ's under the ESB Networks site, its no wonder people are confused. Thanks for this.

Thanks, this should probably be included in the FAQ's under the ESB Networks site, its no wonder people are confused. Thanks for this.
It's covered:

Does my tariff change when I get a smart meter?
No, there is no change to your tariff following the installation of a smart meter at your home or business. Any change to your electricity tariff is agreed between you and your electricity supplier.

But Flogas didn't allow me a non smart tariff when my contract was up (although other providers may have allowed it.) They also activated the meter without my consent. I feel I have been penalised for switching to a smart meter as the rates are uncompetitive compared to what those with no smart meters can access. I think the energy regulator needs to look into this as many people are refusing meters for this very reason.

But Flogas didn't allow me a non smart tariff when my contract was up (although other providers may have allowed it.) They also activated the meter without my consent. I feel I have been penalised for switching to a smart meter as the rates are uncompetitive compared to what those with no smart meters can access. I think the energy regulator needs to look into this as many people are refusing meters for this very reason.

If you're still in the cooling off period for your latest contract then you could consider pulling out?

Otherwise lodge a formal complaint with Flogas, which I think you have to do before you can complain to the Regulator.

Otherwise lodge a formal complaint with Flogas, which I think you have to do before you can complain to the Regulator.
In case it helps here is the CRU complaints process for energy service providers:

We had a smart meter installed about 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday, am ESB meter reader person showed up to take a manual reading, mumbling something about 'meter not setup correctly'.

"I am not angry, I am just ... disappointed"

We had a smart meter installed about 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday, am ESB meter reader person showed up to take a manual reading, mumbling something about 'meter not setup correctly'.

"I am not angry, I am just ... disappointed"
Things happen in life. Move on...

Things happen in life. Move on...
After an enquiry with the ESB customer service, I was informed that it will take 30 days for the smart meter to connect to their systems and submit readings. Now I am curious why that could possibly take 30 days.
But of course you are right. Given the recent 30% operating profit increase, ESB clearly does have no need to save money by not sending people around for manual meter readings a week after installing a new meter, or optimising any other internal processes.
Sure it is very easy for electricity providers to pass on those costs by increasing the standing charges. It is not like I have much of choice now do I.

Back