"smart casual" -v- "semi formal" evening wear

Graham_07

I have just received invitation to my old colleges 25th anniversary graduation reunion. In earlier correspondence the dress code was referred to as "smart casual". The official invitation refers to "semi formal". Googling seems to leave some ambiguity as to what might be expected. I had always thought of smart casual for men as a bit less than daytime smart business wear. But now semi formal, is that a step above? Suggestions anyone?

I'm afraid that geography plays a part in this too. So for example in Cork, smart casual means ( for men) cargo trousers ( pref ralph lauren or TH), polo shirt with collar up, boat shoes and a sweater slung over the shoulders. Whereas this would not work in Limerick at all. Or in parts of Dublin.

Probably no use at all but in such circumstances Mr Bubbly would wear a shirt, smart trousers and jacket (not a suit) and wear a tie. If he thought he was over dressed he'd whip off the tie.
But then we're "culchies" :D...and blow in's at that!!

Ring a couple of mates (good excuse to make contact before the event), see what they're wearing.
Works for the women.

I'm afraid that geography plays a part in this too. So for example in Cork, smart casual means ( for men) cargo trousers ( pref ralph lauren or TH), polo shirt with collar up, boat shoes and a sweater slung over the shoulders. Whereas this would not work in Limerick at all. Or in parts of Dublin.

:eek: should I run in to Gentlemens Quarters fast then !

Probably no use at all but in such circumstances Mr Bubbly would wear a shirt, smart trousers and jacket (not a suit) and wear a tie. If he thought he was over dressed he'd whip off the tie.
But then we're "culchies" :D...and blow in's at that!!

No, very useful, it was partly the tie that had me, Y/N . Guess Y then as you say it can go if not rqd. Thanks.

True true. ( should the sweater have the RCYC logo on ? ;) )

Thanks all, a quick rummage in the wardrobe and maybe a fast shopping spree on the cards. ( would a hair shirt be popular I wonder ! )

I always associate smart casual to be the epitome of the 'preppy' look - e.g. cream/beige chinos + oxford blue shirt - but no tie. For semi formal, add a tie and jacket.

Smart casual for me is :

Shoes not Runners
Trousers Not Jeans
Shirt with Collar, eg Polo Shirt
Jacket (optional)

For Semi-formal a proper Jacket, Shirt and Tie.

I thought a Munster rugby top was acceptable anywhere down that direction? ;)

Or anywhere with a shred of self decency! No Henri Lloyd sailing jacket?

Guys! Depends on the 'do' and the county! But basic rules are Smart Casual can be smart Jeans (ie expensive/taylored) and a nice shirt (no polos), but semi formal is a total different 'ball game'. For semi formal you need to wear a BLAZER, now dont fret, you can get one without leather arm/elbow patches.. otherwise known as sports jacket (that should appeal more) and a pair of pants ... yes, pants, chinos?.... never, please... Tie is not necessary if you look polished in every other aspect, ie good shave and haircut. If you feel good in a tie then wear one, my personal preference is a 'no',dont like the tie look but I am female. Good luck and have a great night.

Guys! Depends on the 'do' and the county! But basic rules are Smart Casual can be smart Jeans (ie expensive/taylored) and a nice shirt (no polos), but semi formal is a total different 'ball game'. For semi formal you need to wear a BLAZER, now dont fret, you can get one without leather arm/elbow patches.. otherwise known as sports jacket (that should appeal more) and a pair of pants ... yes, pants, chinos?.... never, please... Tie is not necessary if you look polished in every other aspect, ie good shave and haircut. If you feel good in a tie then wear one, my personal preference is a 'no',dont like the tie look but I am female. Good luck and have a great night.

Did you have some form of psychoactive substance consumed before posting or do I need to take something so I can interpret it? :confused:

If you were to adopt anything in this post then your best bet would be to forget the whole sorry affair. Otherwise you will turn up clean shaven in a pants, tie and jacket and have a tux in the car for safe keeping!

When I worked abroad in the early 90's and got invitations to the Ambassador's house, smart casual meant tie but no jacket (it was in the tropics).

Semi formal meant suit but not DJ.

Back