I receved a promotion during the year and have been informally told that
my annual salary increase could be smaller because of this. Should the fact
that my salary was increased during the year due to promotion affect my
annual salary increment?
Thanks in advance,
Mary

Re: Annual salary increment ......

Hi Mary,

Whatever about the "should", in my experience it generally does. Indeed, it is not uncommon for a promotion and related salary increase to come with the condition that the next scheduled annual review be skipped and the new salary would be reviewed the following year. Most people are willing to accept this as they end up better off after the promotion.

On another occassion I haver seen a very generous increase soon after a promotion as the salary was "below market rate".

I think you should be considering how you will make an argument for an increase in line with what you are expecting, rather than being concerned with what "should" happen. Also, prepare yourself for the argument that since you have only recently been promoted to the job you are doing, you may not have yet had time to fully grow into it and make the improvements/ developments necessary to justify another increse soon after the last.

Basically each salary review is an opportunity for you to present your case to your employer/ manager/ whatever and justify the salary you feel you deserve. The next one is no different, just make sure you prepare yourself for the counter-arguments (such as the recent promotion).

I'm starting to ramble now, so I will stop, but I hope this will be of some use to you,
Statler

agree with Statler. But some cute hores make sure your promotion is given at the annual review date so to eliminate the additional annual salary increase.

> But some cute hores make sure your promotion is given at
> the annual review date so to eliminate the additional annual > salary increase.

That would seem to be logical to me. I'm not part of the whole Promotion/Annual Increment system so I don't know how common it is. But I don't see promoting someone at their annual review as a sly way of doing them out of money.

Is that really the way employees view promotions? If I get a promotion at my review I'm being done out of cash? Give me the promotion a few months later so I get two raises?

I never thought about it that way. Seems a bit cynical to me. But there you go. An outsiders perspective.

-Rd

it not sly, just being cute, and saves the manager/employer having argurments at the review and saves on 2 increases in the year.

I just took from your original point that you'd feel aggrieved to get a promotion as part of your regular review. Like you'd be cheated out of a second raise that you were entitled to.

To be honest, not being part of that setup I'm actually surprised that people EXPECT an annual pay increment.

The idea of pay rises to match/exceed inflation always struck me as similar to a dog chasing it's tail.

-Rd

"To be honest, not being part of that setup I'm actually surprised that people EXPECT an annual pay increment."

In most cases an annual review is a part of the written contract, though in my expeirience the actual change in salary has very little to do with inflation. It is based on a combination of personal performance and how the business is doing, and rightly so.

And that's not all.

Well the bank that I work for made me permanent after 9 months on contract. Because I was made permanent in October I was told that I would not get a pay increase the following January. I effectively had to wait another year before I moved up a point on the salary scale. In otherwords they got one year and nine months out of me on the same salary. Talk about cute hoors!

And thats not all

Hawthorn,
Why would you expect an increase in January?
You started on a 9 month contract for a specific amount.
You were then made "permanent" in October so you only entered the bank's salary scale then.
A pay increase in this instance is for one year's work done, January to December. You only started in October!
You obviously proved your worth to the company in the 9 months you were there so when you go for your review in January 2005 I would point out that you have not had a pay increase "at all" and they may bump your salary up. But in my eye's you would not be due any increase this January.

Rgds
Lapxp

Annual Review Vs Incremental System

Mary,

I think we need to make a very important distinction here between two very different pay systems.

1) Fixed Pay Scales for Grades of Job (automatic or nearly automatic annual increment)...Civil Service, Public Service, Some SemiState Organisations and some traditional Financial Services Organisations (Banks). This pay structure is common in highly unionised traditional organisations.

2) Annual Performance Based Salary Reviews based on individual contracts. This is the model found in the Private Sector.

Mary, are you in the former or the latter category?

ajapale

Back