Small Tree for a garden

JJ1310

I plan planting a small tree in my back garden as a feature on its own on a patch of lawn. I am thinking of a crabapple or maybe something that has a nice blossom. I ideally would like the tree to have a pretty look all year round. The soil is good loam soil, ground a little wet but new garden so has not been compacted really. It is north facing but I’m going to put it to one side where it will get a few hours of sun each day.

Also how far would I have to plant your suggestion to avoid any difficulties with roots. Also where can I get tree in Leinster area.

Any suggestions greatly accepted.

Your idea for a crabapple is good, it's a good pollinator of other apple trees You could also consider a rowan tree/mountain ash. It has blossom in May and red or yellow berries in the Autumn. It's also a native tree.

In my back garden (30ft x 30ft also north facing) I've planted a silver birch and a rowan on one side of the garden to give some privacy from the neighbours and to encourage birds into the garden.

All the trees mentioned have shallow roots and won't cause a problem with foundations. Now is a good time to plant as deciduous trees are still dormant and it'll give them time to become established before the summer.

Your soil will be fine, birch, rowan and crab apple are suited to most soil types. You'll need the tree to be at least 4ft away from any walls to allow it to establish a good root system. If you want to grow eating apples you could get a dwarf apple tree, it'll be quite happy in a large pot.

When I bought my trees I got them in Scalp Nurseries near Kilternan, Co. Wicklow. They have a good range of trees and will be happy to advise you.

Enjoy your garden.

I plan planting a small tree in my back garden as a feature on its own on a patch of lawn. I am thinking of a crabapple or maybe something that has a nice blossom. I ideally would like the tree to have a pretty look all year round. The soil is good loam soil, ground a little wet but new garden so has not been compacted really. It is north facing but I’m going to put it to one side where it will get a few hours of sun each day.

Also how far would I have to plant your suggestion to avoid any difficulties with roots. Also where can I get tree in Leinster area.

Any suggestions greatly accepted.

Cotoneaster Hyb Pendulus (Weeping) is an excellent robust evergreen tree with lots of flowers in early summer followed by lots of red berries in Autumn. Easy to maintain and typical heights 9'0" +/-.

I'd recommend a crab apple tree also. I've one in my small garden. In winter/spring alot of birds are attracted to it becuase of the ripen crab apples. The blossoms are nice also but usually only last for a week or so.

My tree is 10 years old now and has got a little big. Heavier prunning though would sort that out. If you put the tree in the moddle of the lawn, don't expect the grass around the tree to be in great shape.

Back