Small rental property abroad. Possible to check & verify identity of renter?

Fubar

Hi.

We own a small rental property abroad and advertise same for the summer period locally and on one French website.

We have had a request to book the property for 3 months next summer. This person has provided name address and mobile tel no.

Is it possible to check and verify the identity of this person before we agree to the rental?

It sounds too good to be true and we are afraid of jumping in without being 100% happy.

I have tried Directory Enquiries but they cannot verify the identity as it was a mobile no provided not landline.

Any ideas from anyone out there?

Ask for a substantial up-front deposit with a certified copy of a passport and see what happens. Tell them you have other renters also interested, so you have a good excuse not to proceed with them if you so decide.

Hi.

We own a small rental property abroad and advertise same for the summer period locally and on one French website.

We have had a request to book the property for 3 months next summer. This person has provided name address and mobile tel no.

Is it possible to check and verify the identity of this person before we agree to the rental?

It sounds too good to be true and we are afraid of jumping in without being 100% happy.

I have tried Directory Enquiries but they cannot verify the identity as it was a mobile no provided not landline.

Any ideas from anyone out there?

Furbar, don't think it is too unusual for 3 months rental. I presume you have different prices for weekly rent and one price for long term rent - obviously for you the weekly rental would be in your favour but it is a longterm rental then you probably would not get as much money. Just beware that you can get them out after the 3 months - and you would need full payment 6 weeks prior to arrival and because it is such a long rental get a very large security deposit such equivalent to one months rent which will be refundable once the apartment is vacated and left they way it was found. Where did he/she see your rental advertised. If they provide you with a deposit which is non-refundable and is 25% of the rental then you would soon find out if they were genuine or not.

angela59

Back