Small debt left in Australia

Scouser

I spent a year in Australia in 2002 and left a debt of about 7 dollars in a bank account there. Will the bank have written this off at this stage?

Is this a joke? If not then just call them and ask. Or just pay them the fiver (approx).

I wouldn't be overly concerned about a $7 debt thats been outstanding for 9 years now to be honest........................

Banks are funny creatures and you are bound by the terms and conditions applying to the account.

I would strongly advise checking on this, but I'd e-mail them rather than ring them, so you have an electronic paper trail.

ONQ.

I do know from experience that a debt of that size would not be chased for this length of time...letters would've been sent to the address they had on file + perhaps telephone calls were made to the number you provided them with but after a while it would've been written off...your credit rating in Oz may well have been impacted by this but more than likely by now there would be no history of a debt being there at all...unless you are returning to Australia and intending to continue using the same bank account I would very much doubt you have anything to be concerned about.

I accidently left a debt of £10 with NTL in the UK when I moved to Ireland. When I remembered and went to pay it (a month late) I discovered they had already sold it on to a debt collection and a while later I had some quite scary letters from the agency with hiked up fees on them making there way to me.

I managed to pay NTL directly and the letters eventually stopped, but the message I take from it is that no debt is too small if someone is willing to buy it and add on as much as they can to the bottom line.

I was chased for 23c from an envelope with a 32c stamp on it! So yes e-mail them and find out.

I was chased for 23c from an envelope with a 32c stamp on it! So yes e-mail them and find out.

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!

Define "chased" and was there a gap of nine years between the time you committed this offense and the time you were "chased" for it? Was it an international manhunt as may be the case here seeing as the debt was in Australia?

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!

Define "chased" and was there a gap of nine years between the time you committed this offense and the time you were "chased" for it? Was it an international manhunt as may be the case here seeing as the debt was in Australia?

:D

After seeing "Wishes" post I don't think the OP will be able to sleep at night.

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!

Not everyone has your generous spirit Dave :)

ONQ I do know what you mean but my main point here would be the fact that the OP has not actually heard anything from the bank in the last nine years would mean that they have no valid address or contact numbers and I do know that there is only a certain amount of time the bank or indeed a third party debt collection agency will spend chasing an amount of that size before it is written off.

I appreciate where the other posters are coming from in that they had been contacted about amounts outstanding BUT had those companies had no way of contacting them it would not have gone much further.

Do you owe the money because of an overdraft?, or because of fees which reduced you to a minus balance?

If the money owed is entirely due to fees it may be treated differently, or written off earlier, than if the money was actually withdrawn or overdrawn.

It was an overdraft, on leaving the country I had $13 in an account so i used an ATM at the airport, it was only issuing 20s hence the $7 owing, was just wondering what bank practises on this were, im not really worried about it.

Back