Small Claims Court

MrEarl

Hello,

I have just begun the process of submitting a claim for consideration by the Small Claims Court and was wondering about a few things:

• How long does it take for initial consideration, to see if there is a case to be heard ?
  • Assuming your case is then considered, is there any opportunity to submit a more detailed account of the events (there is a limit of 1500 characters if you submit online, which I found insufficient to explain the situation thoroughly and would also like to provide supporting evidence (statement from witness etc.) ?
  • Finally, how long does the entire process take, before a ruling is made ?

Many thanks,

- I started a claim last December and I got a court date last week for July.
- I sent in some more details. If you call the office they are very helpful.
- If the respondent is willing to settle with you then it can happen within a couple of months; if they dispute it then you are looking at 6 months or more.

Hello Arbitron,

Thanks for the reply - have tried to resolve the problem with the other side directly, but sadly they have not come back with a proposal (despite initially engaging and me giving them a couple of reminders once they had missed their own deadline to return to me etc.).

Assuming your case is then considered, is there any opportunity to submit a more detailed account of the events (there is a limit of 1500 characters if you submit online, which I found insufficient to explain the situation thoroughly and would also like to provide supporting evidence (statement from witness etc.) ?
MrEarl - did you ever get the chance to submit a more detailed account or is the claimant limited to the 1500 characters?

Have a claim on going and was asked for my reply to respondents 'defence'. That was submitted by 2 page letter. Can't tell you how many words, but it wasn't an Oxford essay.

Thanks for that Thirsty. So you put your claim in and then you had the opportunity to submit more detail in reply to the respondents response. That's good to know.

Last edited:
MrEarl - did you ever get the chance to submit a more detailed account or is the claimant limited to the 1500 characters?

Satisfactory terms were ultimately offered and accepted, so I withdrew my claim before it ever concluded.

As a result, I didn't go through the entire process and can't say if opportunity would have been granted or not.

Back