Small benefit exemption options

arikv

Hi all,

We would like to gift our employees the allowed 500Euro this year.
The best thing for us would be a prepaid Debit card, but I cannot find any the states that it is approved by Revenue for the scheme.

I'm aware of none4all and fromyou2me vouchers (or whatever they're called) but both are more hassle than a gift (unless you're buying a big TV or something similiar).

I also came across a prepaid mastercard called Perfectcard, but on their website it states up to 250Euro which sounds like they didn't bother with revenues new rates.

Any advice/link would be appreciated.

I assume you meant to say One4All rather than none4all? We gave these out. Very widely accepted, and as easy to use as any credit/debit card. Lower cost too than any prepaid debit card, as far as I know.

As far as I know, there's no Revenue approval as such.

If an employer gives an employee a tv worth €499 as a gift, it's exempt. If an employer gives an employee a tv worth €501 as a gift, it's fully taxable.

The same goes for a One4All voucher. Employers just happen to give One4All vouchers.

Thanks, but I'm not keen on any vouchers that limits people to Woodies and such. Groceries are essential and would rather get a card that I can use in Tesco, Lidl and such.

I'm looking for some prepaid debit card, I might go with prepaid mastercard if none exists.

Thanks, but I'm not keen on any vouchers that limits people to Woodies and such. Groceries are essential and would rather get a card that I can use in Tesco, Lidl and such.

I'm looking for some prepaid debit card, I might go with prepaid mastercard if none exists.

Don't!!

A prepaid credit / debit card is not a voucher, it is equivalent to cash (ie you can withdraw cash from an ATM with it). It won't qualify.

Just ask the employees what / where they want a voucher for and they should be delighted to be getting it.

Are you sure it doesn't qualify for Small benefit exemption?
According to this: [broken link removed] it does (I've confirm by email).
Also, I don't see any difference between this one and one4all card from Revenue point of view, as both are prepaid cards, the first is powered by Mastercard and is more widely used (all over the world) and not just some DIY/specialized shops.

As I said, One4All are very widely accepted, including places like Marks & Spencer and at least some SuperValu. All major department stores too (Arnotts, Brown Thomas, Debenhams etc.). I know years ago such things were far more limited and I'd have agreed then with the concern "I wouldn't shop in any of those places by choice, so I'd never get to use it", but I really don't think that applies anymore. See https://www.one4all.ie/retailer.html

Also, I don't see any difference between this one and one4all card from Revenue point of view, as both are prepaid cards, the first is powered by Mastercard and is more widely used (all over the world) and not just some DIY/specialized shops.

Beware of the admin fees and stamp duty involved with a lot of those pre-paid cards.

Well, if it can be exchanged in part or in full for cash then it doesn't qualify according to this: http://www.finance.gov.ie/news-centre/press-releases/minister-finance-–-update-finance-bill-2015-small-benefits-exemption).

As I understand it from the link you've provided, there's no indication that you can go to an ATM and draw down cash from the balance on the card, so it may be acceptable to Revenue.

However, also from the website you linked, it says that when the card expires if there is a balance of funds on it you can write to them and they will send you a cheque for the balance (minus €10 admin fee). This would appear to make it exchangeable for cash, which would disqualify it.

Really, you have 2 choices - use a Voucher, which is widely accepted as qualifying, or if you really don't think your staff will be delighted with a €500 One4All voucher or similar, contact Revenue and ask for confirmation in writing that the method you propose to use qualifies for the exemption.

I have been getting One4All cards as Christmas bonuses for the last 7/8 years and while I may not shop in those shops under normal circumstances, I find that it makes me go out and buy myself something different or a treat if you like. Also, stores like Arnotts or Debenhams which do take them also have various other shops/brands in their stores and they can be used in all of them also (the only one you can't use them in is Zara) but there are plenty of other options.

Thanks,
Good idea about getting revenue to confirm in writing, unlikely it'll happen but I like the idea.

Also, I know that employees would like to use this in tesco/Lidl for weekly shopping.
Pity they don'e accept them.

Thanks,
Good idea about getting revenue to confirm in writing, unlikely it'll happen but I like the idea.

Also, I know that employees would like to use this in tesco/Lidl for weekly shopping.
Pity they don'e accept them.

If you ask Revenue to confirm whether X qualifies for the relief, they are obliged to respond.

Interested in the response on this. I contact PerfectCard last year and they said that it did qualify for the SBE as long as it was €500 or under.

I got the same confirmation from Perfectcard, but I agreed with Jon Snow that I will need Revenue to confirm too before I pull the trigger.
I might ring the paye employer helpdesk next week if they don't respond to me email.

arikv,

I think Jon Snow is correct.

This is the text from the Act:

112B.(1) In this section—

‘benefit’ means a tangible asset other than cash;

‘qualifying incentive’ means either a voucher or a benefit that is given to an employee by his or her employer in a year of assessment where the following conditions are satisfied:

(a) the voucher or the benefit does not form part of a salary sacrifice arrangement;

(b) the voucher can only be used to purchase goods or services and cannot be redeemed, in full or in part, for cash;

(c) the voucher or the benefit cannot exceed €500 in value;

(d) not more than one voucher or benefit can be given to that employee in any year of assessment;

‘salary sacrifice arrangement’ means any arrangement under which an employee forgoes the right to receive any part of his or her remuneration due under his or her terms or contract of employment and in return his or her employer agrees to provide him or her with a qualifying incentive.

(2) A qualifying incentive shall be exempt from income tax and shall not be reckoned in computing income for the purposes of the Income Tax Acts.”.

So there's no approval required (as I said days ago). It can be a tv, a voucher, anything...just not cash.

One4All just happen to have the market cornered. A tennis racket or a tv would qualify...a voucher for anywhere. No need for Revenue approval.

Revenue would probably tell you that it has to be a One4All voucher. I once had a Revenue staff member tell me that it was illegal to pay staff in cash (and no, not "under the table"...in physical cash).

Last edited:
So there's no approval required (as I said days ago). It can be a tv, a voucher, anything...just not cash.

One4All just happen to have the market cornered. A tennis racket or a tv would qualify...a voucher for anywhere. No need for Revenue approval.

Revenue would probably tell you that it has to be a One4All voucher. I once had a Revenue staff member tell me that it was illegal to pay staff in cash (and no, not "under the table"...in physical cash).

Ah Gordon, c'mon now, I'd expect better of you.

For every tale such as yours, I could tell you a crazy thing that a qualified accountant (earning much more than a Clerical Officer in the civil service) has tried to tell me.

What would your story or mine prove except that you can come across a person asleep at the wheel in any job on any given day.

OP has nothing to lose here - if Revenue tell him in writing that he can buy that product under the exemption scheme then he can do so, until they tell him not to.

If they tell him something crazy, he can ignore it and go and do what he already knows is correct.

I got the same confirmation from Perfectcard, but I agreed with Jon Snow that I will need Revenue to confirm too before I pull the trigger.
I might ring the paye employer helpdesk next week if they don't respond to me email.

You might also seek written confirmation from Perfect Card that their vouchers cannot be redeemed, in full or in part for cash.

Then you will have your answer.

You might also seek written confirmation from Perfect Card that their vouchers cannot be redeemed, in full or in part for cash.

Then you will have your answer.

Exactly. That's the key test. And with those prepaid debit/credit cards, can one withdraw from an ATM (I suspect not) or get cashback?

I agree with you Jon Snow, with the caveat that in my experience it's often best to avoid Revenue and plough one's own furrow.

Back