slipform kerbing

kerinsp

Does anyone know if you can get slipform kerbing done on the driveways of your house or is it only for estates etc. I have quite a long drive and just dont have the time to put down kerbs myself. Also would anyone know what it costs?

Slip formed kerbs are a fantastic idea but I'm not sure if it will suit your driveway. For starters it is expensive (not sure of rates), there are set up costs (and "mobilisation" charges)which mean it can only be justified on substantial runs of kerbing, where these initial set up costs are quickly dissipated. Also aesthetically you need to consider how a slip formed kerb would look. They are are big and designed to resist damage by heavy good vehicles, will it look OTT and crude in a domestic driveway? Just a few things to consider...

Will need to kerb my drive in near future - What is slipform kerbing? Is it the same as continuous kerbing?

thanks carpenter. my drive is probably about 100ft long so when I heard that there was a machine to put down all the kerbing I was relieved. no digging of trenches or mixing concrete and laying endless precast kerbs. I dont have the time for that and I don't know who I could get to do it either. I know what you mean about the size of the slipform kerbing, its big but I might get away with it.

Hi Lakeview

Slip formed kerbing is a continuous kerb formed by a special machine. The formwork (mould) is advanced (slipped) incrementally as the work proceeds resulting in a smooth continuous kerb without joints. The resulting kerb, being monolithic, is stronger than a kerb made up of individual precast units. It has smooth lines and looks better than the more traditional kerbing.

carpenter,
do you have to have a trench dug out first and gravel put in for a base?
Paul

Generally slip formed kerb is put in before the road surface or at least before the final (wearing) course of the road. The kerb is then formed on the road base (compacted crushed stone). So in answer to your question a small trench would need to be dug out and filled with stone, this would allow levels to established anyway.

Back