sleepers for herbs/raised beds

Optimistic

Just a query re raised beds. Is it safe to use the old railway sleepers for retaining earth. The fab thing is they would last for ever, but is there danger/risk from them and the cresote? Especially when using for edible (well hopefully edible) stuff LOL. Thanks

I wouldn't personally be to keen on it, all my beds are lined scaffolding planks, but if you line the you should be fine.

You can pick up a roll of gray plastic 2mm I think for half nothing.

Just a query re raised beds. Is it safe to use the old railway sleepers for retaining earth. The fab thing is they would last for ever, but is there danger/risk from them and the cresote? Especially when using for edible (well hopefully edible) stuff LOL. Thanks
They're banned from domestic use in other countries and are full of chemicals. Wouldn't advise them, particularly around anything you're going to eat.

You can make some nice raised beds using deck boards and damp proof course plastic lining.

They're banned from domestic use in other countries and are full of chemicals. Wouldn't advise them, particularly around anything you're going to eat.
My understanding is that they are here too. There are 'sleepers' for sale - but not the real deal. Naturally, they're not treated with creosote - so they are fine - and have a more aesthetic finish than the traditional sleeper...

Yep, as SeratoninSid and others have pointed out, do not use recycled railway sleepers. They are illegal to use in thiese circumstances, but you will still see them for sale from time to time.

If you prefer a more rustic/abused look to the sleepers you can safely use, then attack the edges with a hatchet/hammer/chains to take notches out, add dents and general signs of wear and tear. This is called 'distressing', and is often used to make furniture look aged (often while disgusing repairs to antique pieces). There are a number of guides to distressing wood online.
Leo

Back