Slander

alexandra123

Hi,

I am looking for some advice here.

I was in a local pub about 2 months ago and I was asked to leave the premises. When I left I asked the bouncer why and he said that he had 2 reports of me doing drugs. I offered him the opportunity to check my bag etc which he refused. These allegations are 100% false. I asked for the names of the people accusing me of doing drugs which he would not provide. He said I was not barred but that I wont be getting back in that night. I left and went off to another pub. Just before I was asked to leave, I knocked on the toilet door for whoever was in the toilet to finish up...2 girls came out...so I am not sure if these are the cause of the allegation.

My partner sent the owner a text that night telling him I was going to sue him for defamation. I have not been in the pub since. The other night my partner went in with a friend and he was evicted from the pub too and told that we costed him a few bob and that we were both barred for life. I am assuming he went to see a solicitor based on my partners text.

The next day the guy that was with my partner went back to the pub to talk to the owner and he told him that we were barred for life and as far as he is concerned I am from a drug dealing family. These claims are outrageously false.

I let the whole thing go, but I am not happy that he is now telling other people that I am barred and why. Can I make a claim of slander against him ? I don't want to go to the pub and talk to him as I don't think it will make a difference + I did nothing wrong. If anything I am owed an apology and the names of the people that so called said I was taking drugs.

The licensee is entitled to serve/not serve whoever he chooses. If he's foolish, he'll give a reason, although he's not obliged to.

I "barred" people in my years in the licensed trade and called the Guards if they refused to leave the premises.

as far as he is concerned I am from a drug dealing family.

For something to be slanderous it needs to be said to a third party and to be untrue. The above MAY fall into that category.

BTW, re threatening to sue for slander. It's a bit like pulling a gun in the old west. Only do it if you fully intend to use it. On that score I'd be in agreement with the landlord, I'd not want you around ever again. However, where he may be wrong is stating you're from a drug dealing family.

The next day the guy that was with my partner went back to the pub to talk to the owner and he told him that we were barred for life and as far as he is concerned I am from a drug dealing family.

So the pub owner told a third party that you were from a drug dealing family.

If that is not true, then it's slander.

If it's true, it's not slander. The truth is not slanderous.

I think that the simplest thing here is for your solicitor to write to the pub owner telling him that his comments were slanderous and if he repeats them, you will sue him.

Then drink in another pub.

I presume that pub owners talk to each other. If his slander results in your getting barred in another pub in the town, then you have very good grounds for action.

It's a bit tough on the pub owner to be honest. He has to try to keep his pub drug-free. Someone obviously told him that you were dealing in drugs. What does he do? Ignore it because he did not see it himself?

Brendan

So the pub owner told a third party that you were from a drug dealing family.

If that is not true, then it's slander.

It would appear that the person was sent back to the pub or at least was recognised as a friend of the injured party - not really a third party and not widely published - would not stand up in court.

Back